1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender High Mass Deluxe vs OMEGA BASS bridge (IV string)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KingT, Sep 19, 2016.

1. KingT

KingT

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi,

I was wondering what's general opinion about Fender High Mass Deluxe bridge and comparison to OMEGA BASS bridge, is OMEGA worth extra 26$ on e bay (which would've additional cost me incl shipping).

I'm planning on upgrading stock bridge on Squier VM 70's Jazz, and for those extra 26$ I could by Jazz knobs and thumb-rest.

Fender High Mass Deluxe bridge:

s-l1600.

OMEGA BASS bridge:

$_57.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I assume you are talking about the Fender BA clone? They are the same basic design, but Fender in my opinion has a better saddle design, and it has a thicker back plate with recesses to hide the ball ends, which looks cleaner. Go with the Fender and save your money

3. KingT

KingT

Feb 3, 2016
    NO I'm not talking about Fender version of BAII (also goes with Geddy Lee logo), I'm talking about Fender High Mass Deluxe IV bridge from the picture:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2F0XIAAOSwhAZWBuxS%2Fs-l1600.

4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    That's basically a Gotoh 201 clone. As far as functionality there is no difference between the two. The Omega has an advantage in the fact that you have to file string slots, so you can set your string spacing perfectly.

KingT likes this.
  5. KingT

KingT

Feb 3, 2016
    Yeah I've noticed the resemblance between this Fender Hi Mass Deluxe IV and Gotoh 201 bridge.
    Also according to a weight comparison made here at TB in some of previous threads, original BA II weights 222 g and This Fender Deluxe IV weights 214 g, so there's a very small weight difference between these two.

6. I was actually about to put a thread on here asking about how the BAII and Fender's clone compared to each other. I have a newer MIM Deluxe Active jazz with the clone bridge and I'm wondering if the tone and sustain were similar. They definitely look slick lol

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I guarantee nobody would hear a difference between the two in a blind test.

MarkoYYZ and bass_lord_mutha like this.
  8. Haha then it's settled.