1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jaguars

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by mikaelrw, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mikaelrw

mikaelrw

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi.

I've been watching a lot of the NIN live videos up on Youtube. I was curious is the white Fender Jaguar you use on songs like The Wretched one of the new classic player Jaguars? If so what do you think of it? I love the Jaguar and have been wanting one for quite some time. Normally I would be a little hesitant to purchase a MIM guitar but your tone sounded amazing when playing live. Does it sound as nice clean as it does distorted? Do you consider it worthy enough to record in studio?

...and if you don't mind me asking what kind of distortion, fuzz or overdrive were you using with it when playing live?

Thanks!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    As far as pedals, pls do a search, there's a bunch of info. Same with the Jaguar...but I will say it's a Custom Shop conversion of a stock Japanese one, painted inca silver.

3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    I have a stock Fender Jaguar Bass and I’ve used it quite a lot for recording and live. I think of it like a more aggressive Jazz bass. It sounds great clean when I play it with my fingers, and I’ve gotten some great live and recording sounds playing it with a pick and dirtying it up with a variety of my favorite pedals.

I actually love my Jaguar so much that I’m thinking about getting a second (I keep my current one in an odd tuning for the songs it gets used live recently, and it’d be great to have one set up normally too.)