Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Japan Re-issues, '51 P and '62 J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I sold my 1965 Fender bassman, and my 1990 Fender Jazz 5. Which left me with some extra funds, and no really old kewl Fender stuff. So, I took proceeds from the bassman and bought these...

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Jazz is a '62 MIJ, with american vintage pups, cloth wiring, old skewl bridge, etc. Really nice!
    The Precision is an 1999 '51 MIJ, with a sdbc-3 in the neck position, and a 60's vintage pup at the bridge.
    I've got some flatwounds coming to help get their voices "a little more old school," right now they're both strung with brand new stainless rounds I had sitting around.
    I really like these a lot. Very high build quality. The Jazz has a pretty chunky neck for a J, which is fine by me, and the P has a great feeling baseball bat profiel. Both have lil bitsy ole fretwire, which makes both necks feel pretty fast...

3. You DOG you!! Tell us about 'em. I had a '57 P & an early Jazz RI that looked like that.

4. Those are two of the hottest basses. I love the old 50s style. I'm thinking of getting one too! Good luck with your new toys.

5. My Jazz was an early eighties MIA. Great player. I thought for a minute the P was a true vintage. Great looking basses, Congrats!!

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The '51 I've had for a few weeks, gigged it several times. The sdbc-3 is big fat and authoritative. It's nice to mix in some of the J pup to round it a little. The pots are now vol/vol instead of vol/tone. I think the flats will calm it enough I'll be ok with that...but if not, it's a set of 60's re-issue Jazz stacked pots for it.
    The Jazz is nice! A really good combo of fat lows (for a Jazz), and snappy but not to bright or grindy highs. At the job I played Friday, I played thru a TFB420 and Schroeder 1210, and it was fat and clear till you dug hard, or snapped on the strings a little, and then the birghts jump right out without that "70's Jazz Marcus Miller brilliance" if that makes sense. Which is fine with me, because I like the older sound better for the jazz, blues, r&b stuff I mostly do.
    My opinion: the MIJ stuff is every bit as good as the MIA stuff, and I've owned lots of that, and still do.
    Kind of a Fender-a-holic I guess!

7. My P bass is a '57 CIJ and I think its a beauty. Nice dark maple neck a great fit and finish. The tuners are fantastic and the tone is exact!!

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i am soo so jealous.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No need for jealousy;)
    I paid ~$400 for each of these. Huuuge bargains as far as I'm concerned...

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    PM sent.