1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan Re-issues, '51 P and '62 J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I sold my 1965 Fender bassman, and my 1990 Fender Jazz 5. Which left me with some extra funds, and no really old kewl Fender stuff. So, I took proceeds from the bassman and bought these...

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Jazz is a '62 MIJ, with american vintage pups, cloth wiring, old skewl bridge, etc. Really nice!
    The Precision is an 1999 '51 MIJ, with a sdbc-3 in the neck position, and a 60's vintage pup at the bridge.
    I've got some flatwounds coming to help get their voices "a little more old school," right now they're both strung with brand new stainless rounds I had sitting around.
    I really like these a lot. Very high build quality. The Jazz has a pretty chunky neck for a J, which is fine by me, and the P has a great feeling baseball bat profiel. Both have lil bitsy ole fretwire, which makes both necks feel pretty fast...

3. You DOG you!! Tell us about 'em. I had a '57 P & an early Jazz RI that looked like that.

4. Those are two of the hottest basses. I love the old 50s style. I'm thinking of getting one too! Good luck with your new toys.

5. My Jazz was an early eighties MIA. Great player. I thought for a minute the P was a true vintage. Great looking basses, Congrats!!

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The '51 I've had for a few weeks, gigged it several times. The sdbc-3 is big fat and authoritative. It's nice to mix in some of the J pup to round it a little. The pots are now vol/vol instead of vol/tone. I think the flats will calm it enough I'll be ok with that...but if not, it's a set of 60's re-issue Jazz stacked pots for it.
    The Jazz is nice! A really good combo of fat lows (for a Jazz), and snappy but not to bright or grindy highs. At the job I played Friday, I played thru a TFB420 and Schroeder 1210, and it was fat and clear till you dug hard, or snapped on the strings a little, and then the birghts jump right out without that "70's Jazz Marcus Miller brilliance" if that makes sense. Which is fine with me, because I like the older sound better for the jazz, blues, r&b stuff I mostly do.
    My opinion: the MIJ stuff is every bit as good as the MIA stuff, and I've owned lots of that, and still do.
    Kind of a Fender-a-holic I guess!

7. My P bass is a '57 CIJ and I think its a beauty. Nice dark maple neck a great fit and finish. The tuners are fantastic and the tone is exact!!

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i am soo so jealous.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No need for jealousy;)
    I paid ~$400 for each of these. Huuuge bargains as far as I'm concerned...

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    PM sent.