Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 24 import??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hondo8671, Oct 31, 2005.

1. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    who plays one of these? im thinking about trading my 2003
    usa jazz 4 for a new jazz 24 close to even!! on price should i?
    i love the QMT top! it sounds good but i bet the resale will be bad on the 24 jazz!! :smug:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    depends on what you want. The Jazz 24 is a very "hot" sounding trebly active "modern" sounding bass. Frankly it doesn't really sound that much like a Jazz bass to me. It's a great bass, but you have to decide what you want. As far as quality of materials and workmanship, IMO you'll be taking a step down from your USA made bass, but not a big step down.

The quilted top is paper thin on the Korean import.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Does this mean it's manufactured in other countries ?

I just tried one last night and was really impressed! I was suprised to see it was manufactured in Korea and was advised that Febder no longer manufactures in Japan.

*Planning my next bass solo up to the stratosphere of the high 'G' on that baby.

4. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Yes it's a Korean Import

"Made In Korea" is the major clue
    They don't sound all that much like a fender and if you are a fender purist the 24 fret neck is a letdown

5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Whoever "advised" you that Fender no longer manufactures in Japan is wrong.

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    "It looks good, sounds like a jazz and plays well" Is how bass guitar magazine described it but according to the posts above it doesnt sound much like a jazz. Can i get a warm mellow tone out of it? And also a slap tone, because of the contols. Whats the tone like? Thanks

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The tone is hot and modern. Kind of like a Marcus Miller on steroids. The Quarter Pound pickups are really hot and the active EQ is quite aggressive.

Bass Guitar Magazine surely spent much more time with the bass than I did and I'm sure their editors are more knowledgable than me.

8. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Thanks, because you cant turn the preamp off, would you happen to know if its versaitale as well and can give me a warmer, more "low midrange" sound?

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The preamp is a boost/cut not a boost only system if my memory serves, so that should be possible.

10. Sounds like a good trade to me. My Jazz 24 is a great sounding bass but it is very different from the classic jazz sound (ie. my Geddy Lee). One thing you may not like, as I have had a few people point this out, is that the pick up is much closer to the neck heel than a regular jazz.

But back to the point at hand, I would go for the trade.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The 24 has a very powerful sound that doesn't sound like a Jazz. The neck feels like one though.

The slap sound is okay but a regular Jazz sounds better IMO. I also feel that it is too cramped for slapping. However it is great for music where the bass is upfront and propels the song.

I roll off the bass knob and boost the mids to get a mild tone and very nice definition.

12. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Are there center detents on the knobs? and do any of you know the neck profile? Thanks

13. Is the 24 fret neck on this puppy the same neck as the one Warmoth offers with an optional fingerboard overhang, that overlaps on top of the pickguard? If so, then why not just buy thw Warmoth neck for your current bass, and ditch your current neck on e(vil)Bay or on here to someone doing a project? Just a thought.

~Ryan

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yes the knobs have center detents. Neck profile info is on the Fender site IIRC.

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No.
    An interesting but irrelevant thought.

16. Not really sure about the neck profile but yes there are center detents.