Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz bass - different

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hookha, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    what the different between mexico jazz bass to american jazz bass?

2. american are higher quality, have more options e.g maple f/b and the newer ones have S-1 switching oh and the price difference

3. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    uuh I bet my hat that you are the first one to ask this
    question here :p

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Americans also have graphite reinforced necks and better p/u's.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    About $500 or so.

Seriously, this has been covered umpteen times here, check the search function.

Basically here they are, assuming comparable basses.

* MIA has graphite reinforced neck, MIM is not graphite reinforced.
    * MIA has truss rod access at body, MIM has truss rod access at neck. I've been told that body access is better construction.
    * MIA has better quality hardware, often incorporating through-body stringing. The MIM hardware is completely adequate however.
    * MIA has "better" or "more expensive" pickups - HOWEVER, this is not true for the "Deluxe" basses, the MIMs are generally the same as previous year MIA or the same. Also, MIM pickups are very, very good in their own right IMO.
    * MIM is usually not as good "quality" wood. Whether this matters to you is your own decision.

There are lots of models so this isn't always true. The new MIM "60's classic" series is very impressive, the best stuff coming out of the Mexico factory.

Mexican Fenders offer an extremely great value for a guitar or bass.

6. free hard case with the MIA

7. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    thanks
    i know that the american basses are more quality than the mexican
    but if i dont have enough money for american
    mexican is good?
    just the quality of assembly is the different?
    it worth to buy mexican?

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Every penny spent on a Mexian is worth it. I have a Fretless MIM Jazz and I swear it must of been a mistake in the factory. It plays like an American.

If you can't afford a MIA, don't worry. MIM's are just as good.

Also, i'd look into the Highway 1 basses. They're excellent too.

-Mark

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hookha, take your time and check out as many basses as you need to to find the one that plays best for you. That is common advice you get for fenders, but frankly it is a good idea for any type of bass you might buy. A good MIM Fender is a good bass period.

10. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    what is MIM and MIA?
    and i love fender sound
    but i cant check..
    because im left hand
    and in isreal there a few models of fender but they right hand
    ok i go on the mexican!
    sound good
    thanks!

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Made in America, Made in Mexico
    I just got a lefty MIM Jazz for Christmas, I love it. $400USD w/gigbag.

12. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    MIM Fenders catch alot of crap...maybe in past years they werent as consistent, but these days there are some good solid basses coming out of the Mexico factory. I own a standard Jazz bass, and in my opinion the playability and tone are excellent. I'll admit the hardware isnt top of the line, but its very solid. Ive never had problems with the bass not staying in tune, needing excessive adjustments, stuff coming loose, **** like that. You occasionally hear stories of someone getting a lemon, but id imagine thats pretty rare. Just make sure you play before you buy. I sat down at guitar center and played a half-dozen different jazz basses until I found the one that played and felt best...and thats the one I took home.