1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass MIM vs Sire MM V7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zulujos, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Zulujos

Zulujos

Mar 18, 2014
    Yes, I know, another tiresome "which bass" thread. So let's do it again. I have been sorting through the litany of bass choices and demos. Disclaimer: due to my location I do not have the advantage of trying these instruments myself. I live in an isolated area in the Spanish Med. So my choices are reduced to online orders. I have no problem with that for I have had great luck with my guitars. So back to the question. I have reduced my choices down to two basses. The Sire MM V7 that I can order through Thomann or a Fender JB MIM that I would have to pick up off Ebay or Reverb. Both are in the same price range: $400 or less shipped. So strictly restricted to these two basses, what direction would you go? The negative on the Fender is having to drag it back here from the states.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have both and my vote is the Sire unless you find a really great deal on a good used MIM. But they're not really in the same ballpark in terms of quality and bang for the buck in my opinion, the Sire's a lot more bass.

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I bought two of my four Sires from Thomann and had them shipped overseas (to the US that is), I was very pleased with their customer service. I was a bit nervous, but they had very good communications and status updates.

4. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Not to mention that, at least when I bought mine, the currency rate turned out to be $100 cheaper.

And the Thomann deluxe gig bag is an amazingly good deal at $35. A similar quality case would cost over $100 more at, say, Sam Ash, and Thomann quickly replaced it when the zipper failed. I wish I bought a few more initially.

The Sire is way below what you would expect to pay, and Thomann customer service even adds to it.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    In the long run, the MIM is a better deal. It will have better resale value. Sire is not a name recognized by the general public; however, Fender is.

6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    This is almost too easy. GET THE SIRE and make yourself happy. To get a JB to match tonewise you'd have to get an American Deluxe or Elite. And many of us REAL Playas out here know about the SIRE. Working Pros who play for a living KNOW about the Sires and yes they hold their resale value just as well as a MIM JB. Mane I'm cracking up here.

7. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Sire all the way. I LOVE my V7, and the range of tones you can pull out of it vs. a passive Fender is like apples & oranges.

Go for it!

8. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I will say that I use my Geddy Lee and '57 RI P with Geddy neck more than the Sire. It's only for when I'm required to play a 5-er. But I don't in any way regret the purchase, nor am I looking to sell it. It's too good a bass to not have in my arsenal.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    lowdownthump and bholder like this.
  9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I don't own one.. but based on what I know about both basses I would think that the Sire would be a hands down better over all bass.. MUCH more bang forthe buck than the MIM Fender.. IIRC the Fender is a passive bass yes? The Sire can do both with tone controls in both modes unlike some other pre amps. Also from what i hear the build on the Sire is top notch.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Zulujos

Zulujos

Mar 18, 2014
    As for resale, I have been tracking the MIM's and I have to say the observation they have better resale value is very neglible. I have watched a large number of Fender MIM bass auctions and most go through several cycles without interest. The market has reached a saturation point so unless one is willing take a big hit you will be be sitting on it for awhile.
    On the other hand it appears the Sire is gaining a following. So I might go so far as to say if a Sire comes up in a US auction site, you would stand a better chance of sale vs trying to sale a MIM that is competing with 50 or 100 others.

lowdownthump and Imaginary Pony like this.
  11. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm not bashing on the Sires here, but I always like to throw in my two cents.

I bought one of the Ash V7s because reviews were amazing. I expected it to be fine... not amazing, but fine. And it's fine.

I have two American Fender jazz basses and quality-wise the Sire is not at the same level, though I can't compare to a MIM jazz because I don't own one. The Sire neck feels "wimpy" to me and the tuners leave something to be desired, but fret work is great. Most impressive to me is the look and sound. They look fantastic, and the sound is just great. Even if I don't love the neck I can almost always pull out the sound I'm looking for. I have no intention of ever selling mine; it's just a great jazz bass.

I don't agree with people who say the Sires compare to other $1500 instruments, but for $400-$500 I really don't think you can do any better. As for resale value... from what I've seen, Sires are selling used for at or just below what they cost new, and they sell FAST, sometimes within an hour. That doesn't mean it'll be that way forever, but right now buying one is hardly a gamble.

Bodeanly and lowdownthump like this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sorry, I don't agree with your analysis.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  13. Zulujos

Zulujos

Mar 18, 2014
    Do you homework like I have, Gravedigger. I tracked sales with an open mind, not a preconceived opinion. You're comparing your opinion to a honest attempt to survey what the market actually bears. While I agree that the Sire is not well known by the general public, that comment alone seems to be rooted in the notion that the general public, musicians and non-musicians alike,recognize the Fender brand and not Sire. But you can't tell me that an instrument that rivals and quite possibly exceeds the quality of the Fender MIM instruments and is not as readily available in market sites such as Reverb, Ebay or even Craigslist, will be more difficult to sell than a competing instrument that is available in large quantities. Btw,resale has never been part of my equation when choosing an instrument.

lowdownthump, Ikkir, bopeuph and 2 others like this.
  14. Chinchano

Chinchano

Jan 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Get the Sire. Got my V7 last May and haven't put it down yet. It's a beast and very fun to play.

15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    A new Sire resells close to its original retail price on here these days. An MIM Fender generally takes a substantial initial resale hit. Fender may win out in resale value in the long run, or may not, but I agree, that's irrelevant to most Sire owners, who are buying them to play them, not to resell.

16. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    not sure about the MIM, but I own an American Deluxe V and I favor my Sire V7-5 over it...and because I never tire of posting this pic :D :

[​IMG]

lowdownthump, Ikkir and MattB88 like this.
  17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I'll tell you what OP, I'll switch places with you. You can move to Pennsylvania where there are basses as far as the eye can see, and I'll move to the Spanish Mediterranean.

If not then I'd probably say Sire. It can do passive or active. Might be nice to have a versatile instrument if it's your only one.

Saratogacv60 and lowdownthump like this.
  18. Zulujos

Zulujos

Mar 18, 2014
    No thanks, Johnson79, the politics here ain't nothing to write home about but there? Btw I'm a US citizen. Just saying.
    At any rate, the resale value distraction is rather a moot point when discussing sub $400 instruments, wouldn't you say!

19. Zulujos

Zulujos

Mar 18, 2014
    Nice, Spazz. I favor the sunburst though I think a 4 stringer will suit me best.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Probably a good choice to avoid the US for a while! It seems like the world has gone off the deep end.

Ikkir and Zulujos like this.