1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Customization?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torinx, May 11, 2011.

1. Torinx

Torinx

May 11, 2011
    I have a Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass and I'm wondering if it is possible to customize a few things. I don't know much regarding customization myself, so I'm looking for a bit of help.

Is it possible to change the neck on my bass to look like that of the Geddy Lee signature jazz bass? The black spaces rather than the dots. I've always liked this but at the time I didn't have money to purchase a more expensive bass.

Secondly, is it possible to get Fender American Jazz pickups or Geddy Lee Signature Bass pickups and install them on my Mexican Fender Jazz bass?. I've played American Jazz basses and the Geddy Lee jazz bass and both of which sound a lot better than my bass and I'm wondering if it is possible to improve the sound.

If these things are possible, does anyone have a possible cost in mind? Thanks!.

2. none of that is possible:(

3. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Neck- Warmoth or search ebay for a Geddy neck

P'ups- musiciansfriend should have american jazz bass p'ups, and for the record, I don't believe the ones in the Geddy Lee are unique.

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    "they see me trolin', they hatin'....."

Usually I'd be more than helpful. But really, SEARCH FUNCTION.

EDIT: Ok, that came across a bit harsh. Welcome to TB. The search button at the top will get you answers using the right keywords. This subject about Jazz bass mods comes up a lot here in the forums so there should be plenty of resources.

5. thebassbeast

thebassbeast

Oct 28, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    Try sjb-3s and ernie ball hybrids thats my setup and it creates a super bass! Increased the funk level and has more lows while maintaining the highs the jazz already has!

6. thebassbeast

thebassbeast

Oct 28, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    O and the geddy neck is amazing! I dont have it but its sick!

7. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Yes! All of the mods you are asking for are very, very common and easy to accomplish.