Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender/Lakland/Warwick - 5-stringer comparison ?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fathand, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Ok, this is the deal. I'll be upgrading to a 5-stringer this spring (most likely) and now I need some advice on the topic (QUESTIONS BELOW). The current competitors are:

MIA Fender Jazz V
    MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe V
    Lakland Skyline 55-02
    Warwick Corvette Standard (5-strings)

The starting point is this: I play death metal in a band and record my own stuff on the side. So mainly the genres I'm working in are metal, rock & jazzy fusion (some parts) + some slapping. I don't usually use any distortion, and my sound varies from deep growl to a more midrange "twang". Currently I use a Warwick Corvette Standard, with passive Mecs & four strings and a Hartke head + cabs (which will probably change).

I need a pretty versatile bass with a solid, dependable construction (It will see gigs) & clear sound (It will be used in recordings, so no noise wanted). All the forementioned basses are within my budget (1000-1500e), and I have no desire to go custom at this point. So...

THE QUESTIONS:

- Is the Fender Jazz Deluxe V worth the additional cost (compared to the basic Fender V)?
    - Is the S-1 switch really useful?
    - How does the Laklands neck compare to the others (slimmer, chunkier, shape etc.) ? (I don't have a chance to test the Lakland, as I have to order it online)
    - Other notable things that come to mind?
    - Other bass Recommendations?

I searched and read reviews (they're all great basses!) but the kind of comprehensive comparison is missing. I could say I can't see the big picture clearly, and that's why I need YOUR help.

Thanks. :)

2. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I play a '97 American Jazz V (before the S-1). It has a great sound and I wouldn't hesitate to play it in just about any genre. That being said, the B string is serviceable but not very tight. If I remember correctly, it's string spacing is a little wider than the Corvette 5's (it's definitely wider than a Thumb's), which would be a point for the Jazz V if you're going to slap it. Warwicks have a tremendous voice for metal, but I'd go for the Fender Jazz for jazzy stuff.

Unless you're going to sell your Corvette, you might do well to use both, depending on the situation. Having two different basses in different or dropped tunings could be really useful.

Although I'm personally considering a Warwick sometime in the future for it's apptitude toward metal, I don't think I'd ever get rid of my Jazz.

Sorry I couldn't comment on all the basses.

3. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    The Warwick isn't going anywhere, and the string spacing would be a +1 for the Fender V's. Thanks for the info. :)

Now if someone could give me a Warwick/Lakland neck comparison..
    :ninja:

4. the fender 5 is a much bigger bass size wise than the warwick, but probably the same weight wise. The Warwick will also have a different growl to a Jazz.

5. The lakland neck is wider, it has 3/4 string spacing like a fender, but thinner front to back then warwick. Of the basses you mentioned I'd take the lakland, but the jazz deluxe would be a close second.

6. dirkjonker

dirkjonker

Nov 3, 2005
    The Lakland is definitely a good choice. Better B-string than the Fender's, and more tone versatality than the Fender V. Never played a deluxe, so I couldn't tell. I also never played a Warwick, because I think Warwicks are butt ugly :D

7. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hello guys,

i am new in this forum, so hello to everyone!!!

all three definitly are very decent basses. but as always there is no other way than to try on your own which bass fits you the best.

i own two usa lakands and they are very, very good instruments but i think they are not the right thing for heavy music (that is the only stile they are not perfect for in my eyes). for heavy and death metal i would go for the warwick (maybe the new model with two double-buckers?).

if you are considering a fender: in my opinion the best 5string they ever built is the roscoe beck signature. very versatile, very good b-string, lots of bottom and all passive. i recently got one and won´t trade it in again.

hope you will find the real thing for yourself!

regards,

sandmann

8. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    The Lakland has a tone that you really have to hear to detemine if you like. Personally I dont. Not saying they are not great quality instruments but the feel/tone are just not for me. On the other hand I own a MIA 5 Deluxe. I thought after I got my ken Smith I would sell it but I cant. It just has a Universal tone that fits everything. Since you already have a Warwick I definately think you cant go wrong with the Fender Jazz. I used to hate em but now I know why you see them ALL the time with professional artists.

BTW the MIA deluxe doesnt have an S-1 switch. It has the Active Preamp. The Regular MIA 4 or 5 has the S-1 Switch and its passive.

9. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Yes, I was aware of that. Should have been more specific with the question, I guess.

Went and tested some 4-stringed fenders without an amp today, one with a really low action felt good to play (It was a MIM, hehe). The American standard had a "sticky" neck, which I didn't like (but I think it has more to do with the fact that people go there with their filthy hands and twiddle the fiddles, than just being a bad neck finish). Otherwise, I pretty much can imagine now what kind of neck the fiver would have & it seems good to me. Too bad they didn't have any 5-stringers at hand, though. :meh:

Someone mentioned the doublebucker Warwicks... what I've seen, there's not that much space to dig in and slap. And I like the sound of Jazz PU's (generally speaking)

The Lakland is still the questionmark in this competition, as they don't have any Finnish dealer(s). It's features & reviews do speak of a very good and versatile bass I'd like to own. (Have I stressed this enough already, hehe). The idea of ordering a bass worth 1,5k in euros online stresses me a bit though.

But keep the info coming, people. :hyper: