Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Logo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blipndub, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

Any ideas on dates/models on a black Fender Jazz Bass logo with gold outline?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Early to mid 70s. Looks like a jazz bass model to me! :p Seriously though there werent any "models" then. There was only one kind of jazz bass.

3. I think the range could be extended back a few years earlier, like 1968, but it is definitely post-CBS.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The "TV" logo was used on from '69 to '74. Yes, there are some found on late '68's and on some very early '75's.

5. Is there a website that one can get this information from? Like a repository of sorts? I'd be interested in checking that out. :hyper:

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    There is a great book called "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" with just about all the info on Fender basses you could ever want. Highly recommended...

7. Cool. Thanks, metron.

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    This is a pretty good site http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

9. Hey thanks guys! I thought it was a 70's style, but the gold threw me up into the 80s (when there were some other "models" -right?)

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Any chance it could be a decal? The original owner of my Hot Rod P sanded off the front logo on the headstock and put on a similar Fender logo (black with gold trim).

11. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    blipndub, are you asking in general or for the purpose of dating that particular neck in the pic? if the latter, it doesn't look like an original decal. as far as i know, that truss rod access is not something you'll find with that decal in any regular production model. the early 70s jazz necks (and the current geddy lee signature) has the truss rod access at the other end and the mid to late 70s jazz necks have those bullet truss rods (decal is slightly different also).

the only fender jazz necks that have that kind of truss rod access are the mexican mades ones, and the only maple fingerboard mim jazz necks i know of are on the precision deluxe specials and those don't have the tv logo. if you're trying to identify that neck, my best GUESS is a mighty mite neck (which does have that truss rod access) with a genuine or, more likely, fake decal.

12. Usually though, it's hard to get Fender decals. There are some floating on Ebay, and that's probably what happened to yours. Usually they are direct decal replacements from Fender, and require pics of the serial number and other things such as neck stamps for older basses. Either way, the decal is clearly the 68 till mid 70s one. However that logo is associated with maple fingerboards and black block inlays (early on) and white pearloid block inlays (73? onwards). Make sure that adds up.

13. It is very difficult to get "real" Fender decals, even for Fender authorized repair techs, but it is easy to get excellent reproductions on e-Bay. The cheapo $10 decals are usually done on inkjet printers and are obvious forgeries. The decals that run $15+ are very well done using metallic inks and are difficult to detect if they are applied properly.

14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy