Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender mim Upgrade..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nikolai, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I just bought this new Caramel burst Fender Standard Jazz from Mannys in New york.. Thinking of upgrading it with a badass II bridge, Duncan Basslines.. either vintage or 1/4 pounders (and the pot's ofcourse).. Would it be worth it?

oh.. and a new pickguard.. color-suggestions?

Btw, it has a sticker that says "Fender - Special Edition" on the back.. can anyone tell me what that means?
    The image doesent justify it.. (even though its a mim :p) looks like regular sunburst.. and a bad one at that..
    Image:
    [​IMG]

2. That is one beautiful bass... shame it's hendered by that tacky white pickguard... I'd actually opt for a clear one with a finish that purty :D.

-ryan-

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The "Special Edition" sticker probably refers to the fact that it is a limited edition run in terms of the finish - the caramel burst is not a standard finish in the MIM line. It could also be referring to the slight flame, too. They had a few MIM basses with a natural finish that fell in the same category.

As to whether or not the mods are "worth it", that's determined by whether or not you want to spend the money. ;) Unless there's some aspect of the bridge or pickups you're not happy with, I would leave it be, at least for a while. You just got it! Play it! Enjoy it! :)

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have an MIM P-Bass, and the very first thing I did was get rid of the ugly white pickguard and replace it with a tort pg.

White pickguards on anything other than a white, black, or pastel colored bass look really out of place IMHO.

5. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I agree in as much you need to live with the bass for a while to determine whether there is anything about the sound that you want to improve (more bass, flexibility, top end, whatever). This will then determine whether a change of bridge/pickups, or adding an active eq (and what type(s)) will get you nearer to what you are looking for.

Change the pickguad though to a tort....

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A tort pickguard will pick up the red color of the bass nicely and it will look more like it "fits" that bass.

7. go with the 1/4lb'r Basslines, and yes the badass is a great bridge.

im personally switching out my basslines for some EMGx so ill let you know how those sound once thats done

8. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Thank's for the comments everyone :)

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1. I saw this bass in Sam Ash the other day and the st thing I said to myself is that it would look killer with a Tort P/G.

11. i owned a MIM fender jazz for a while. It was as good as i needed for a while. by now the tuning pegs won't hold a tune, the bridge practically fell apart, the pots are all messed up and it's making much more noise then it used to. So i'd say wait until some of that starts happening and then replace. That way you get the most practical use out of it