1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hello again. I was looking at the Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass. It seems like a good bass, and its only $400! Has anyone played this bass and how does it compare to the CV series of basses? :help:

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I just came across them last night as I was perusing the Fender website. Very cool. Black blocks, thin neck and a P/J set up. I did a quick price check on MF, and with their current 15% discount, you can own one for $340. Not bad for a brand new bass.

Has anybody tried one out yet?

3. Ummmm...see the above linked posts.

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    For some reason I didn't see the 2nd link. I just tried the 1st one and it wasn't much help. I'll check out the 2nd one. Thanks...

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I tried one a couple of weeks ago in an A/B demo with the Modern Player Telecaster Bass. The Jag bass lacked bottom and fullness and the neck was much thinner. The Tele bass got my vote. After I played the Tele bass I wasn't even interested in the Jag bass anymore.

6. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Make sure you check out the Squier VM Jaguar. Pearloid block inlays, rosewood fretboard, stacked knobs and Duncan-designed pickups. I'm sure the MP isn't a bad bass, but I don't think its better than the VM (there are several Jags in the VM line, so if you decide to look at it, make sure it's the one I'm referring to - the others have lesser quality IMO, but you might as well check them out too).

7. detoxxx

detoxxx Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    I just bought a Modern Player Jaguar bass this past weekend. I actually love the bass. It sounds great and incredible construction on the bass for the money. I'd definitely recommend it. I may upgrade the pickups in the future, but for now I'm extremely happy with it.

I A/B'd it with the Tele bass. The Tele bass has a much rounder, fuller bottom... almost a bit too "boomy". It depends on the kind of music you play most and the tone you're going for. They did a great job with these basses.

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I had the vm squire you are refering to, it was a beautiful bass. I traded it in on the modern player. The neck on the mp is amazing! Fret work is perfect, better bridge,finish,balance,action,etc. Play a modern player for yourself, its a superior instrument!

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everybody:

I tried all the three Modern Player basses (and some Squiers too, but let me explain...)

The Modern Player Jazz is well balanced, but has a muddy voice: it shares same BlackTop Precision double coils but on a Jazz bass, they only mishmash everything, instead of mixin' up
    '60s and '70s single coils positions sounds.

The Modern Player Tele (more a Nocaster to me, for no other name on the headstock) is beautiful and sports my favorite neck pickup: the Fender WideRange split pair magnets pickup. Except that adds same (and same string spacin') pickup in the bridge position, nearly disengaging it, via unallined pole pieces.

The Modern Player Jaguar, with P/J pickup configuration, tend to be meaty and snappy as well. It sounds good and it's well refined and the only comparable Squier Jaguar is the Vintage Modified P/J special. For it sports no alder as the Fender body,
    but at least a basswood one coupled by a useful phat booster

So:
    IMHO whenever caught by the Jaguar sound/shape but unable to afford the original CIJ, the go to choice to stay proficiently effective are Fender Modern Player or Squier Vintage Modified (P/J with basswood - only - body and onboard phat booster).

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. I'm not an expert I'm just learning I went from a squire jazz 5string to a mp jag and I love it it's part of the family I have short fingers the slimmer neck is ideal for any one with smaller hands the finish is awesome no bads at all period its a fender a real fender With a coupon from GC got it for 290 wow a great deal on a great bass

11. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    The mp jag is a nice bass, the j pick up has lower output than the p, not an issue to me, replacement is no big deal. Having owned a fender jazz usa in the past, as well as a pudella,rickenbacker,fernandez,etc. I can tell you the modern player is the real deal! Its no hot rod, its simply a well rounded utility bass! Its versitle tone range can play any kind of music, its well balanced, well finished, heavy, has decent hardware & electronics and it will fit in any jaguar case. The maple neck is what blew me away on this thing. I was playing a vm squire jaguar with the duncan designed pickups when i came across this modern player, the fender jaguar does not lack anywhere and having owned both the vm squier and the mp fender, i can attest to the fact that the fender is far superior to the squier!

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Yup... if you want lots of lows the tele MP works well. Mine has a delicious bite on the rear pickup - even with flats. Good for old school or reggae/ska tone. I have some very inadaquete examples that could explain the sound with sound (a good way of doing that!):

With Fender rounds (stock):

With D'Addario Chromes:

here's the bass... in stunning Low definition!!!!!!
    http://i45.tinypic.com/15vuqp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I played both the Modern Player and a Squier Jag in the store. Much as I loved the MP, I did like the modern C shape jazz neck and the Rosewood fingerboard on the Squier better than the standard C shape jazz neck and maple fingerboard on the MP. If the MP Jag had the same neck as the Squier I would have been all over it.
    You own both and I know your overall opinion, but curious as to your thoughts on the difference in necks between the MP and VM Jags. The neck on the MP felt clunkier to me and I don't ordinarily like maple fretboards.

14. ismaelpunk

ismaelpunk

Oct 25, 2009
    what ia the exact weight of this mp jag?

15. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Sweetwater weighs a lot of the instruments they carry, especially those they have the nicer gallery of images for. You could check there.

16. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

Apr 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'd buy it. I could always use a new paintbrush in the palette.

17. I've had my MP jag bass over six months now. Just gigged it again last night. Definitely a keeper. I actually considered both the Squier CV p bass and VM j bass but went with the jag for a number of reasons; mostly because it falls somewhere in between, and a bit more unique.

It's has both p'ups! Use the p mostly, but really nice to have the j for added flavor. I tend to go for a brighter snap.

The neck. Slightly more chunky than a regular j, but more comfy than the p to me. Frets are perfect.

Overall build is excellent. Feels more solid and balances better than the squire jag. Not a light bass, guessing close to 10 lbs. Probably made in the same place as the CV line, but with the F logo, for a few dollars more.

Only changes i've made; buffed down the gloss neck w scotchbrite. GHS pressure wound strings. And a tort guard from WD, fits and looks great. Really dig it.