Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender: New for Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 13, 2005.

1. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=new

Most of this stuff has been discussed to death already - the Fender 24, the Big Block P, and the Reggie Hamilton Standard.

However, two more have popped up: A Custom Shop 1970 J reissue (Natural body with maple fingerboard and white inlays), and a Classic series 50s Precision bass!

The Custom Shop doesn't have a pic, but it sound delicious. But the biggest news, for me, is the 50s P bass reissue. Fender made some back in the early 90s (50s and 60s reissues, to be exact), but all seem to have died out. Now there's a mid priced vintage feeling P, and if it's anything like the 60s J it's definite bang for the buck.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I can not wait for those pics!

3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I myself am more interested in the 24. Love it.

4. Very nice! Fender is awesome! They just stick with what works!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've said it before, that Reggie Hamilton Standard looks great for the money. I could use a nice four and the price is right for that one.

6. I have one. It is very nice.

7. I did NOT need to hear that. My GAS is now growing uncontrollably.

Actually, some questions: Can it (particularly, the P pickup) really nail the Motown P-bass sound? Also, how modern-sounding is the bridge J pickup?

8. I want Fender to bring back the Jazz Bass Special, Fretted and Fretless. With all the orignal finishes available.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just mentioned in another thread that I saw the Fender Deluxe Zone V looking at the Fender website. Somebody must have experience wih one these sweet looking basses.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, I'm a bit more excited about the John Mayer Strat than anything else :)

11. Sleek and simple... I like it! That 66 firemist Strat is sweet, and the 59 Esquire is just classy... but I digress... ;)

The 70 Jazz RI is going to KILL. Looking at the popularity of the American Vintage 75, Geddy Lee bass, and other ash/maple jazzes, this bass is going to be a very popular one.

12. I am still playing with it and trying it out. However, my initial impressions. The bridge pup is an American noiseless jazz, so has a more modern sound. In other words, very quiet, not that vintage hum. The Precision pickup is also American made and is nice and thumpy and throaty, particularly when soloed and in passive mode. I tried some motown type lines and in my ear, they sounded nice. I think that in the end the bass is a really versatile, work horse type bass. I wanted it because I like the look of the Jazz, but like both the jazz and precision tone, so I wanted something that could nail both tones. I think this one does pretty well. Also, it has very nice construction (although there are some minor eccentricities) and with the American pups and Hipshot detuner. It is really something!

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON

The 70 J is a "Closet Classic"...don't those usually go for around three grand? Sucks if they do :mad:

14. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Didn't they have a 75 custom shop a few years ago?

15. In theory, like any P/J, the P pickup wouldn't sound the same as if it were alone, wired in series. In a P/J configuration, the two pickups are usually wired in parallel, which adds a bit more top end flavor to the P, even soloed. However, I've tried many a P/J and the P pickup always has that burpy thump, regardless. In my experience, the Noiseless J is very quiet and a bit modern sounding. However I heard them in a passive J and the sound was amazing - very thick and thumpy with a lot of definition. I always heard them called toneless... that's far from my experience with them.

Yeah, I'd really like to try that Reggie sig! I loved the custom shop version but wished they could have made a more affordable version. Fender seems to be answering all my wishes!

16. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anybody know what happened to the Victor Baily five string? I could have sworn I heard last winter that Fender was going to make one and have it for NAMM this summer, but evidently they haven't.

While I'm at it, did I imagine it, or were they also going to release a Victor Baily Fretless?

Nothing about either model on the fender site, so far as I can tell.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, I layed down my cashola for a Marcus Miller 4, and then like two weeks later I see the Reggie Hamilton bass and go "D'oh!" I might've gone for that one, had I known it existed.

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    String up the infidel!

...wait, we'll never agree on what brand to use. ;)

19. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002

lol :D