1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender "Owned the Night"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Jun 28, 2012.


  1. madbassplaya

    madbassplaya

    Dec 28, 2007
    Went and saw Lady Antebellum last night on their "We Own The Night" tour. Thompson Square opened up for them and Darius Rucker (Hootie!) was their special guest. The show was actually very enjoyable. Top notch sound from all bands.

    Thompson Square's bassist was rockin' a vintage sunburst/rosewood Fender P bass. Pretty sure it had flats on it. I could also see foam under the strings near the bridge. He was running through a Mesa 8x10 and head. Very loud. The tone was a bit thuddy to me when he would hit the low notes but the upper end stuff was killer. Thick and punchy.

    Darius Rucker's bassist was playing one of the new Fender American Deluxe Jazz V's. It was white with a black pg and a rosewood neck (blocks). I could only hear him when he was playing solo or with one other instrument. He seemed to get lost in the mix. He did not have an amp/cab visible on stage.

    Lady A's bassist started the show with what i'm 99% sure was a Fender Roscoe Beck Ver in sunburst. He would then switch to a white Sadowsky Jazz Ver. Both basses had a great tone to them. The Roscoe Beck seemed to have a little more "meat" to the tone if you will. But the Sadowsky absolutely KILLED...especially on their cover of Sweet Emotion. No amp on stage either.

    This is neither a pro Fender or anti Fender thread. Just thought it was interesting each bass player played one. I wish I could've heard Rucker's bassist more. :meh:
     
  2. lowfreq33

    lowfreq33

    Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    At a country concert there's a 90% chance of seeing a fender, 9% chance of seeing a fender clone, and a 1% chance of anything else.

    I am the 1%.
     
  3. madbassplaya

    madbassplaya

    Dec 28, 2007
    That seems about right. I haven't gone to many country concerts, I'm more into rock music which has it's share of Fender products but there are others. When watching country on TV I see a lot of EBMM stuff too.

    That Sadowsky really did sound killer though. I wanna play a Sadowsky, it was probably my favorite followed by the Roscoe Beck.
     
  4. makaspar

    makaspar Supporting Member

    Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I work in country radio, so I get to check out touring bass gear every couple of months..

    In my experience, I'd say Fender 65%, Sadowsky 25%, EBMM 5%, and something else 5%..

    King George Strait's bass player, Terry Hale, plays a 5-string Warwick (Thumb, I think?)

    Miranda Lambert's bassist, Aden Bubeck, plays some kind of custom, '51-Esque slab bodied 3-string basses.. And kicks ass on them!

    For what it's worth, I can't remember seeing anything but Ampeg 8x10s for anyone..
     
  5. I can't remember where, but I saw a video of Lady Antebellum's bassist sporting two Fender TV Bassmans. Maybe he's running into a Duo Ten and a Fifteen?
     
  6. lowfreq33

    lowfreq33

    Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Stingrays do pop up from time to time, they've gotten more accepted the last few years. Somebody like Keith Horne can play whatever they want due to their "in demand" status, but a lot of artists still insist on having a Fender looking bass on stage. Some even insist on 4 strings only, so a lot of guys keep one strung BEAD. I actually had one artist provide me with a Fender, which hardly ever got used because most of his tunes required a low D or C. Didn't get to keep it though.
     
  7. madbassplaya

    madbassplaya

    Dec 28, 2007
    Yea, those number's make sense. When I saw Miranda Lambert play he was still playing a 4 string. Why does he play 3 string basses?


    Toby Keith's bass player doesn't play a "fender" looking bass. I've always noticed that his bass looks pretty modern for what he's playing.
     
  8. number11

    number11

    Jun 17, 2010
    Fender have a very ...thorough...artist scheme.Not saying thats the case here, but, even still, worth keeping in mind.

    Friends of mine got a job as the resident band on a TV talk show and got a call from the Fender Rep after the first one aired, offering free gear to all members.

    I remember being big into country in the early 90's, and saw a lot of peavey basses back then.
     
  9. lowfreq33

    lowfreq33

    Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Toby's bassist has had that gig a looooong time. I'm sure he's earned the right to play what he likes. Also a Genz Benz endorser.

    There are exceptions to the Fender thing, and actually in the 7 years I've lived in Nashville I've seen it relax a lot. I think the modern country stuff has something to do with it. There are a lot of younger artists now who aren't quite as traditionalist in their attitudes.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.