1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pick up upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Revvv, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I just purchased a Fender Deluxe (active) Precision Bass Special. It's a great bass, but the Precision pups are lousy. I want more power, even with the active EQ.

This bass is not an active / passive bass.

Are the pick ups active, or is there only a preamp installed? I don't want to rewire the entire bass, I only want to swap one set of pickups out for another.

By the way, are there any suggestions?

100_2759.

2. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    looks really great. and i think the pups are passive, with active EQ

3. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia

I hope so, but I'm gonna wait on a couple other responses. I want to be 100% sure before I make an order.

I removed the battery earlier and the bass was not playable. If the pickups are passive then I want to also put a switch in that will allow me to go between active and passive.

4. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Helllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Are there any more answers?

5. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are passive.

A lot of basses with a passive/active switch won't even function in passive mode if the battery is gone because of the way they are wired. You might want to check into that.

6. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Cool, so I can put a set of quater pounders in this thing and pretty much take the world apart. Am I right?

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know about the "take the world apart" part, but you sure can put in the QPs. ;)

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Shouldn't this go into the pickups section?:eyebrow:

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If that bass isn't "taking the world apart" for you - chances are it's your rig and/or the way you EQ - the pickups just aren't going to make THAT mch difference ...

10. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    It sounds great. It has a ton of power.

I want more.

I'm used to playing Peavey and G&L. Both of those basses blow the power and punch of the Fender away.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    That is, you like the tone but want more output? A clean boost pedal (a la the MicroAmp or a boutique option) will do that for you, or just turn it up at the amp.

12. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    I retro fitted one of these a few years back. pus and pre amp weren't to my taste either. I did the quarter pounders with a Bart 3 band stacked bass and treble and bypass. changed the entire bass into a very versatile fender. it was very affordable and easy to do.

this is just my opinion but in the case of an instrument like this it may be best to do both at once. if you just do the pus you'll be stuck with a ore you cant bypass and it will overwhelm any pus in front of it. I tried the qps before replacing the stock ore and it was still pretty bad maybe 40% improvement.

hope this helps some and that you have fun with it.