1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Fender Power Jazz Bass Special

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by frootbooty, Feb 25, 2021.

1. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    I guess now vintage Power Jazz Bass Special from the late ‘80s. All original, except for Dunlop straplocks. In really good condition. I’m guessing this was pearl white but has faded to a goldish color now. It comes with a non original case and I believe I also have a black Hipshot d tuner for it. It feels pretty light, prob close to 9 lbs. anyway, I haven’t used it in a decade, so there it goes.
    Let’s split shipping because prices are out of hand now.
    No trades please.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    You always unearth the coolest stuff to sell. Glwts

frootbooty likes this.
  3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I owned one back in the Big Hair Days. IT was a great player.
    FB_IMG_1582895385423.jpg

4. pipaberg

pipaberg Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2017
    I have a black one of these, dead on about 9 pounds...love these necks

jebmd likes this.
  5. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    80s you say!? :drool:

TNCreature likes this.
  6. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Very Very Kool.. I like it

7. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    Sweet bass!!!!

8. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    what does the power mean on headstock?

9. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I took this from an online review:

The ‘Power’ part of the name adds features to the already splendid instrument. Firstly, the fretboard extends over the Maple neck to include another couple of frets. Those all-important high E & F notes! The body horns are scooped out for a more sporty look but to gain extra access to the higher frets too. One of the most intriguing but in some ways interesting features was that all ‘power’ models have a reversed P pickup, with the treble side closer to the fretboard. This seems to make sense to me. I guess we’re just used to it being the other way round. Speaking of electronics, well PJBS got the turbo treatment under the bonnet too in the form of an active preamplifier powered by a 9v battery. It is in two sections, firstly the TBX tone control (that offers the option of ‘boosting treble content’ as well as the more usual passive action of cutting top end which I believe was carried over from the electric guitar counterparts. PJBS also utilises a filter style equaliser. Essentially what I believe to be a notch filter. As you sweep the control around from 0 to maximum, you could cut away your low end or move a scoop through the midrange frequencies then all the way to the far extent of its travel, rounding off the top end instead. I liked this system as it didn’t seem to change the overall instrument level much, save for the settings that cut away too much of the guitar’s main character in those important low mid frequencies. A toggle switch then allowed adjustment to the width of the filter for a more or less defined change in sound.

SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  10. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Florida
    Come on man, its really powerful!

11. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Totally

12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It is super rare to see one of these in this condition. The head stock looks brand new! I had a candy apple red one of these around 1990. Never should have gotten rid of it.

DanBass likes this.
  13. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    I still rock a 1988 or 89 candy apple red version. It's a killer bass, fantastic neck and ballsy tone. This one looks freaking great. Love the way the white has aged and you've kept the F caps intact!

Lownote38 likes this.
  14. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass Supporting Member

PM'ed
    MIJ?
    thanks
    Tom

15. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    The Duff bass

16. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Yes, these were made in Japan.

Upstate SC Bass likes this.
  17. chriscrob

chriscrob ozellomusic.com Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have been in the P's Deserve Pickguards camp for as long as I can remember, but this bass is changing my mind. I've been exclusively playing a black Power Jazz Special I inherited from my dad for the past few months and honestly, I'm considering just picking up another one and calling that my bass collection. I tried one of the new Duff basses and it wasn't quite the same.
    REAALLLY like this gold look.

For those asking about the tone controls:
    I had to refer to this for the first few months and honestly, either that switch has been twisted on mine or I've been using it backwards the entire time. This is worth saving if you have this bass lol

PowerJazzBassControlsLrg.jpg

Upstate SC Bass likes this.
  18. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass Supporting Member

funny that it is a jazz since the body shape seems to be more of a P bass
    Is the neck more like a P bass too?
    I have owned both P and J basses but with my large hands find the narrow J necks a bit small for me personally
    Also does that black headstock have a layer of carbon fiber on it? looks like it
    thanks for the details
    have a few questions about this

19. frootbooty

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I think that’s a layer of carbon fiber or some type of overlay. The neck on this one is thin.

filler83 and Upstate SC Bass like this.
  20. BradH

BradH Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    Man I wish I had the cash. Great bass man!

GLWTS

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021