1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Oct 2, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I just ordered my new... Fender Dimension American Deluxe HH Cayenne Burst Rosewood neck i cant wait but anyways while i was at the store i messed with a Fender Precision white/rosewood MIM... i have never ever even considered MIM But..i have to tell the truth here i was Very suprised this thing felt and sounded Solid im serious here.$499 Brand New Huh thats sooo cheap the neck felt very close to my Stingray sounded authentic Precision i played it through a Fender Rumble 150 .I guess my point here is none of us have to spend big dollars on Basses we choose to there is no shame in playing a $499 dollar Bass that feels good,... sometimes we get caught up in the Custom Shop this and this is junk mines the best.You put a good player on this $499 Bass and there wouldn,t be many people that could tell the difference between this $499 er and an $1800er.Sorry for ramblin on LOL it doesnt change the facts i still ordered the $1700 Dimension.Cheers

2. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    LOVE MY MEXICAN P's

3. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Heck I still enjoy noodling on my 2009 Squier PJ. Even though I am fortunate enough to own basses that cost easily 5 times as much, the Squier is still fun to play and sounds good.

4. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    It doesn't matter how much it costs. If it sounds good to you, then it is good.

My top 2 basses are MIM Fenders. I think they're great.

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yep... my mexi P 2002 is one of the best basses I've owned.

6. Mexi 50's P here... just got it set up... Cant put it down.

7. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i also tried the MIM Jazz that one felt yucky neck felt bad different quality to me .Its almost like Fender said put are expensive P necks on the MIM,s lol....Ive always wanted a White P Bass they look so Cool under the lights once the Dimension purchase cool,s off and the wifes off my trail i will be owning one ........

8. I just bought an MIM Jazz fretless. It's great. Enough said.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm considering a MIM std jazz or P for my next purchase as a backup if I can find one of respectable quality. Get one with a decent body and neck and you're golden. Throw some 62RI or Fralins in to sweeten the deal.

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've had three MIM Fenders: a Standard Jazz Fretless with perfect action, a natural ash P, and my main bass, a Classic '50s. The last one gets a lot more use than my AVRI '57 P. No issues or problems with any of them other than a sticky G tuner on the Classic.

11. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I have a MIM Precision, bought new in 2010 I think. Once I changed the pickup to a Dimarzio Model P and gave it a proper setup, love it. Even though I have very nice custom basses, I still use my MIM P regularly. One thing I will say is when I bought it, I sat down with every model they had in the store and picked the one that played the best to my taste. Walking in I had my eye on a sunburst and maple (my favorite combo, aesthetically), but walked out with black and rosewood.

12. WOOSTER

WOOSTER

Aug 8, 2013
    LoVe my MIM instruments

13. djg714

djg714

Jun 14, 2013
    Love my MIM P bass.

14. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I love my 2011 MIM Pbass!!! It is by far the best feeling/playing bass I've ever had in my hands. I paid $400 used with SD QP pickup, Babicz bridge, and pickup cover. Once I pick it up I just don't want to put it down.

15. I learned very early on what most players refuse to accept even after 20 years of playing - You don't need to spend a small fortune to sound good.

I'm currently gearing a MIM Fender Jazz, pre-Fender SWR Bass 350 amp (which I scored for a mere $200 aud) and two Ashdown ABM 410H cabs ($500 aud a pop). Hardly the definition of a "high end" rig but you know what? It sounds great, it feels great and its done very well for itself in every band I've played with it so far with no complaints.

These days with manufacturers releasing lines like Squier's Vintage Modified line, Music Man's Sterling by Music Man line and Warwick's Pro Series, its becoming increasingly more difficult to justify spending $2,000+ on an instrumnent or piece of equipment with the idea that its going to be of "better quality". I find a lot of people who buy the genuine article do so because they want the world to SEE what they play rather than focusing on what the world HEARS them play. I know guys who have rocked a VM Squier Jazz in studio and live which have put other players with American Fenders to shame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking some higher end amps and guitars by any stretch. There's no denying that a Euro Spector or a German Streamer are completely worthy of their hgih-end price tags and completely different animals to other instruments in the market, but its important for people not to dismiss a lot of lower end gear these days because the quality and sound is definitely there...and usually its not even hidden, it blatantly sounds great from the moment you plug it in.

I love my MIM Jazz and can't see myself letting go of it in the foreseeable future. It feels great in my hands and sounds perfect through my rig. What more could you want as an amateur musician?