1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Special (Deluxe Series) - Burst P/J, 1.5" Nut Nice!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

FS ONLY!

Gotta unload some gear. Older and REALLY nice playing and feeling Fender Precision Special (Deluxe Series). Build quality on this one is quite amazing. VERY tight neck pocket, great fret work (LOW action) and no buzz.

These were not made long in passive (they are now active) and has US electronics and US vintage bridge (muti-slots) from factory. I am not lying when I say that this is the nicest playing and sounding MIM stock bass I've ever played. Yes, it's that bad-a$$.

The burst option was an upcharge when this was built and is no longer avail on the current version (only painted bodies are avail now).

Overall she's in very good condition. A few minor dings and scratches (clear coat). Some scrathcing on the pickguard (see pic).

I'm asking just $449 for this one and that includes a HSC that's beat, but functional (see pics). Cheesy stickers included on the case for free (I didn't put them there) :smug: !

DSCF0451.

DSCF0452.

DSCF0453.

DSCF0454.

DSCF0456.

DSCF0459.

DSCF0461.

DSCF0449.

DSCF0450.

2. What's the weight like?

Thanks,
    -GB

3. Quadzilla

According to my scale, 9 lbs even which is a reasonable weight for an alder P.

4. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

bump for the chucks in the picture...

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That may be the nicest burst I've seen on a MIM.

Good luck.

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    what year is it? how can you tell if they are active vs passive? I found one just like it locally and passed on it due to thinking it was active and the jazz neck.

7. Quadzilla

She's a 1998. New ones have only painted bodies (no burst option) and have 4 knobs (not 3 like mine).

8. Bump because I have this exact same bass, cept mine is a 2002 (still passive).

9. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    How is the output balance between the two pickups?
    Any significant deadspots on the neck?

Thanks

10. Quadzilla

Just checked this out and and...

output balance is very close. Almost dead on. Raise or lower one or the other a tad to get perfect, but again, it's close.

Deadspots, like on any Fender, they exist, but they are minimal on this bass. Pretty incredible for a MIM.

Only minor issue I can find is the tone pot is just a wee little scratchy and I'm out of contact cleaner. A squirt of cleaner and you will be in business. The "scratchiness" is pretty minimal anyway...

11. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I can vouch for these basses - I have an '01 that is truly the meanest MIM I've ever played! (And I own a Smith, Ken Lawrence, Roscoe, 62 Jazz... so I'm particular!)

Mine was upgraded with Nordstrands, then I added a Badass and an Audere 4-band, so now it rivals many $2K 4-bangers I've played.

Definitely one of those under-rated hidden treasures even without upgrades :bassist:

12. TFM53

TFM53

Oct 16, 2008
    Iowa
    I'm with Astroman.I have a 2002 in chrome red,and it rivals American's.These were the best of the Mex's.I opened mine to change the pots,and closed it back up.Brand new (NOS) bought in 2008,and already had CTS pots.Good luck for a sale for a great bass,bar none.By the way,these are selling new for $769.00 from MF.
    T

13. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    all MIM's have CTS pots...at least the 'standard' ones that Ive seen do.

14. Quadzilla

Yep, the newer ones are $769 new, but with a couple of key differences.

A - They are not avail in Sunburst anymore (the option on the older ones like mine was extra $)

B - The new ones are active. Some prefer active, but the majority Fender players seem to prefer passive. So to me, it's a bit puzzling why they went to an active system on the new model (and who knows if they got the voicing and frequencies right).

15. Someone please buy this. The temptation is killing me....

-GB

16. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    I wish my jazz would sell so i could get this

17. Quadzilla

Pre-EvilBay / Craigslist bump!

18. mike k

mike k

Aug 12, 2008
    Hi!
    I would like to purchase this bass. Is it still available.

19. Quadzilla

Replied and waiting to hear back from you.

20. Quadzilla

lots of PMs and interest. still avail for the moment