1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble v3 500 vs Hartke HD500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassicallybob, Jul 10, 2018.

1. I've been doing some searching and its come down to the two listed above. The rumble 500 and the hartke hd500. They both get outstanding reviews, and they're both what I'm looking for. Powerful, lightweight, great tone, and gig worthy. They're identical in price.

They both peak at 500w, though the Hartke has an RMS rating at 250w and the Fender at 350w. I know that wattage doesn't always translate into volume, but 250w is a definitely a tad concerning. I don't want to blow out the speaker by pushing it beyond the RMS rating, and gigging regularly I feel I might be, but I'm not sure as I've never been able to push the amp myself.

Thoughts? What would you prefer? What would you say is a better product?

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Head to a Sam Ash, or even go see Larry Hartke at his bass lounge at Sam Ash, Manhattan.
    A/B the two and pick the one you like best.

AstroSonic and Joedog like this.
  3. Unfortunately there isn't a sam ash or comparable store in my area. Closest is about 6 hours away in Chicago...not sure if I wanna make the trek.

4. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    I think the Rumble is 500watts Rms (at 4 ohms)

AstroSonic likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The answer is clear. Buy a Fender Rumble.

6. AFAIK, the HD500 is incapable of overdrive.

What do you mean you're not going to fly down to NYC to visit S.A. Manhattan (Times Square) to buy a $600 amp? :laugh:

If you're concerned about Watts, get the Fender Rumble Stage 800 for a couple hundred more:

Rumble™ Stage 800

Yahboy likes this.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I have the HD500 and tried the fender. I think the fender is going to get a bit louder not because of the extra watts but because of cabinet size. The hartke sounds great and is very easy to schlep because of it's 12" depth. I have a 15 cab of the same dimensions as the fender combo. It's not difficult to haul but the hartke moves like a suitcase. The hartke can get pretty loud and can easily keep up with a loud drummer unless you are playing metal. The speaker out on the fender is pretty important if that's going to be your only rig - hartke doesn't have one.

If portabillity is more important and you want the easiest schlep with a simple yet effective preamp: hartke. If you need the bells and whistles and max volume playing with a hard rock band: fender

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    AstroSonic and Linnin like this.
  8. Yeah, I play a lot of genres but right now metal is my main one, and I'd always like the option to keep up with high gain guitars and loud as F*** drums.

I think I decided on the fender.

Gravedigger Dav and AstroSonic like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This is both Good and Proper.^^^ :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

Bass Man Dan and bassicallybob like this.
  10. Just curious how you would compare the tone of the Harte and Fender. Is it different enough that it could be a deciding factor in a purchase decision, or does it come down to power, preamp flexibility, portability, maximum volume and extension speaker capability.

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both is great bass combo, just depend what kind of tone you are looking for.

Here is my story, i am a 15 driver lover, own Rumble V3 200/150 in past and move to Hartke KB15 currently.

Rumble V3 more close to Classic Vintage Vibe (Bassy along with some MID scoop sound)with flat EQ, meanwhile Hartke more clean flat EQ Voice along with better present Midrange .

If you love clean sound without any colour on your tone or you want/love to hear your bass pickup raw sound or you want your 5 string bass B string sound clean ,clear and solid or you always use pedal ..... Hartke Hydrive system will make you happy; if you love tube-like tone and classic overdrive sound, sure the Vintage button and Overdrive knobs on Rumble serve you well.

Hartke front panel is boring than Rumble which lacking of Overdrive, Vintage mode, AUX in....... she just a bass amp with clean sound, but those 3band EQ on it is more respond in tone than Rumble 4 band EQ.

Hartke Low pump in 70hz, increase the value you get thick and fuller Low without boomy; On Rumble i just get Bassy-Boomy on Bass knods pump.

The treble voice on Hydrive also different than Rumble. Rumble need the horn for treble voice support, when increase the Treble, i just get sharp sounding treble voice along with some hiss. On hartke, I can easily to tweak the Treble knob for "Treble voice present or tame ". Sure ,there are much lower Hi-Hiss with Treble boost on high master volume.
    I dint play slap, but my friend who love slapping show me how the Shape function on Hartke smoke out the Contour + Bright + Horn On on Rumble when he play his GeddyLee Jazz at high master volume . To my ear , the Rumble is lacking something in the upper mid range and Rumble is No Ommph for slapping sound.

Dont fool by some guys here said Hartke Hydrive driver has metalic-tone, the hydrive driver sound smooth like traditional paper driver.

I am not Anti-Rumble guys or Hartke-Die-Hard fans, there are few great thing on Rumble V3 actually.
    Rumble V3 have great Vintage Mode Voice which i still missing with, to get that voice, i need Zoom MS-60B.
    The Bright Mode (horn ON)on Rumble can let your Elec. Guitar sound surprisingly good !!! Even fibre-ascoustic guitar. Rumble also let my keyboard and digital drum sound nice through AUX input with plenty of output volume.

There are some cooling-fan noise appear on Hartke, but still lower than Ampeg BA series. The Rumble is silent as mouse .

For the Bass combo look i prefer the Classy Rumble more than Hartke.

Have to mension again, that is my personal opinion on KB15 and Rumble V3 200/150 which base on 15' driver.
    Dual 10 maybe different story.....

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    ET42 and Relayer71 like this.
  12. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    I went with the Rumble. And a 210 extension cab. Never regretted it once. I've had it for a couple years now.

Giffro likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Be sure to check in at the Fender Rumble Club thread here in Amps & Cabs. Friendly bunch of people and a Fender Rumble Wiki Page that is very useful for Rumblers. Looking forward to giving you a number.

Giffro likes this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I still have no chance to try S800 on my local GC yet, but for High Watts, the Bassman 800 head is seriously great sounding Class-D bass head along with Neo 610, tone is much juicy than Mesa D-800 +410.

15. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The hartke is thicker, punchier, more focused, especially through the mids. The Fender has more lows and highs. I like the sound of both. You could probably eq the Fender to get close to the hartke but the harke will never get quite the openess in the lows and extension in the highs due to the Fender's bigger cab and horn. All that being said I like the hartke better. It has a punch that the Fender lacks that is just awesome.

AstroSonic likes this.
  16. Now you guys talking about the thick and punchy tone of the hartke are making me reconsider...

I don't know if I'm comfortable playing live in a metal band with 250w though...and I could always EQ the crap out of the rumble

17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I think the fender with an extension cab would be a better choice for you. Neither combo would cut it on it's own with a super loud metal band IMO.

18. I've cranked the rumble, these things are LOUD for 350w. But yeah, I'd look into getting an extension cab eventually.

Giffro likes this.
  19. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I bought the Rumble V3 115 cab to supplement my Rumble V3 500 combo. A decision I have never regretted as it now gives out the full 500 watts it was designed for.
    Of course the Rumble 500 on its own is quite powerfully crisp at 350w but I love the addition of the extra 15" Eminence speaker to help support the amps 2x10" Eminence drivers. A thunderously clear combination.

20. Yeah I was thinking if I picked up the combo i'd go for the 115 extension. Glad to hear it treats you well. Altogether it makes for a damn cheap full stack, and from what I can tell a hell of a sound.

Giffro likes this.