1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard Basses (Jazz Bass/Precision Bass)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAndDrums97, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Lately I've been shopping online and I've been looking at Fender basses. I most definitely don't have enough money to blow on an American Standard. :spit: I've come across the Fender Standard Basses. (Particularly the Jazz and Precision models) The P-basses are only 580 bucks. :eyebrow: Fenders prices have been ridiculous the past few years and these seem reasonable to me. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either the Jazz or the P-bass that has liked them.

Thanks.

2. Both of them are really good, but you should buy one used. The older ones are better, and you could probably score both a P-bass and a Jazz bass for $580, or a good used Japanese or American made one for the same price.

3. thefid89

thefid89

Feb 3, 2009
    Mcallen Tx
    they are awesome, if you want to make mods the first mod that sould be done is changing the bridge to a badass II bridge and go from there. that change alone will make a huge difference i also upgraded the nut and picks ups, she has about 9 years of heavy use and she is still a beast.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love my MIM P bass, I've owned many MIM P's J's and P specials, all have been very well made and can handle lots of abuse. Pretty well of them need to have the pickups shielded though. Once that's done, it's a very nice sounding bass.

Other mods are your call, but at the least try some new pickups.

5. I couldn't have said it better myself. I always knew that if I bought one of these i would put a Badass on it. I don't know if i would change the pickups. depends on how i like the 'out of the box sound'

thanks.

6. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you're going to go Fender MIM route, better to blow $500+ on a MIM Classic Series Precision or Jazz bass. MIM Standards are plain lacking compared to their Classic Series counterparts. There's also Fender's new Modern Player (MP) series that you can score brand-new for $400-$600 (Jaguar $400 - Jazz $500 - Telecaster Bass $600) that fellow TBers are raving on how fantastic those basses are for the money. I would also like to give a +1 for OneTimeOnePlace for recommending a used MIA or MIJ bass for around the $600+ mark. In my opinion, Fender's MIM Standard basses are just barely worth it since there are better options available to you - both new & used. And I say this as a person that loves Fender. :oops: