1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Fender Stu Hamm Urge 2 FIVE STRING!!! USA Corona, CA made

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dan Robbins, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Here is a AMAZING, one-of-a-kind, rare, discontinued, reworked Fender USA Corona, CA made Stu Hamm Urge 2 converted to a five string with a HighC!

There were NO five string Stu Hamm Urge 2 basses EVER made. (Unless maybe Stu got one? Never commercially produced)

String spacing is 15 mm and very comfortable!!

Can also be strung with a low B, or easily converted back to four string.

Hipshot on low E string drops down to low D

It was outfitted with the “Wilkinson 4 to 5 string bass conversion kit” and I had a custom bone nut made. I play six string so this bass isn’t getting enough use…

Please like absolute butter. My luthier Rick McKee made a custom Ebony shim under the neck, and when I got it back the action was so incredibly low I had to raise it! It can go as low as you want… it’s still really low, just not ridiculously low…

I am including the original four string nut, and string tree. I sold the old bridge but they are pretty easy to find. I believe it’s just called a vintage style bridge. I can send you a picture of what that looks like if you like.

You can coax nearly any sound out of this bass, with the three pickups…

I am the only owner of this bass and bought it new in 2004 I believe. Lovingly kept in a smoke free home studio, and used on some gigs in the mid 2000’s until about 2010.

There are a couple of very small dings on the instrument, but nothing major at all. Unless you look closely you won’t notice them. There is no belt buckle rash. A couple marks on the end of the headstock. See pictures. I took pictures of all the little blemishes.

I will include the strap lock ends and it comes with a deluxe vintage tweed case.

It has an incredible set up and is strung with a brand new set of D’Addario NYXL strings: gauges
    032, .045, .065, .085, .105

$2500 OBO plus actual shipping cost.

Body: Select Alder, Sleek Stu Hamm Body Shape
    Neck: Maple, Asymmetrical Oval Shape (Satin Urethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9-1/2” Radius (241mm)
    No. of Frets: 24 Medium Jumbo
    Pickups: 2 Custom Noiseless„¢ Jazz Bass® Pickups (Neck and Bridge), 1 Custom Precision Bass® Pickup (Middle)
    Controls:

Master Volume, Dynamic (Pan) Control, 3-Band Active EQ with:
    Treble Boost/Cut
    Bass Boost/Cut
    Mid Boost/Cut

Pickup Switching:

3-Position Mini-Toggle with Dynamic (Pan) Control:
    Position 1:
    Pan Control Full Clockwise: Front Jazz Bass Pickup
    Pan Control at Mid Point: Front and Rear Jazz Bass Pickups
    Pan Control Full Counterclockwise: Rear Jazz Bass Pickup
    Position 2:
    Pan Control Full Clockwise: Front Jazz Bass and P Bass® Pickup
    Pan Control at Mid Point: All Three Pickups
    Pan Control Full Counterclockwise: Rear Jazz Bass and P Bass Pickup
    Position 3:
    P Bass Pickup Only
    Bridge: Wilkinson five string bridge; original was Fender Deluxe Top Load or Strings-Thru-The-Body Bridge
    Machine Heads: Hipshot® Ultralite„¢ Tuning Machines with Drop-D Tuner on E-String
    Hardware: Chrome
    Pickguard: 4-Ply White
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Width at Nut: 1.59" (40.4 mm)

Unique Features:

6-Bolt Neck Attachment with Sculpted Heel
    Posiflex„¢ Graphite Neck Support Rods
    Special Thin Asymmetrical Neck Profile
    Active Electronics
    Matching Painted Headstock
    Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups

Vintage Tweed Case included (pics to come) Kd4S81y0TuqXO4NDo18DxA.jpg Cz79EUlOTmusBT1deGwGiA.jpg W3TQ50X0S6aQbGXuGQEKww.jpg i4SPdy5XQDWuWEpn3RAgrA.jpg QKBp9A5qQVarY6+7drh5PA.jpg hOmGISpDQn6m50Q82Psorw.jpg AtOuFJz6RiuFoyQzgvPgWQ.jpg ZKIp5%zQQECfMPvM1Wivnw.jpg ycGdLa+JRZGV2wvXC9CqSg.jpg V1KTogezSHukBSb2WqSl2Q.jpg vSIqvIGqR0mTIgQZwAchlw.jpg I26uQNdzRJyqMOAKrgBxxw.jpg 4pYTOOQFQV2tLhdyuZSccw.jpg sjUupXukQ8KEU1DeEO1xGg.jpg VpPykdJ%SzyFUDuiLJJb0w.jpg RoXAwjytRGqOtLXwTVHzxw.jpg w5dpnmTkSYWCjnvKOCDHtQ.jpg NLIOSpsAQlGg9jwoaI2lQQ.jpg 4R0D5ypvSJCGGfN9JBLkqQ.jpg 1t+Bl8UDTAGSZGclp37wAw.jpg ja179DTfSbimtKfU6tW83w.jpg KtHFtIdSR4mL60YoySNQyQ.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Wow, talk about a unicorn! :thumbsup:

Dan Robbins likes this.
  3. brstma

brstma my dog is an awesome dog Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
    Not usually my style of bass but that’s awesome!

Dan Robbins likes this.
  4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Custom shop?

Dan Robbins likes this.
  5. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    yes. Built-in Corona, California USA by the custom shop as the original four string. And my amazing local luthier Rick McKee did the conversion with the Wilkinson conversion kit, which is also discontinued…

6. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Very cool. GLWTS

Dan Robbins likes this.
  7. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    The Urge basses, while extremely Good basses, were never built in the custom shop for the record. I’ve owned 4 of them.

Han So Low, bass08053, jtlee and 2 others like this.
  8. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    OK. Didn’t know that. I assumed that made in Corona, CA is the same as the custom shop, but perhaps I am mistaken.

9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    5 strings bass with 4 strings pickups?

10. Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith can be
    Seen playing a very Urge-like 5-string on one of the Wayne’s World movies iirc.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  11. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    yes. The magnetic field of the pick ups is wide enough that there is no loss of volume or tone.

12. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    I was chatting with Stu on Crackbook and he confirmed there were only two built, Tom's and a gold one that I believe he still owns, he was coy about it being in an undisclosed location.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  13. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    feel free to let him know about this one; High C with thinner spacing. Plays SO easy....

Need Gigs likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021