1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fernandes Fgi Preamp Help!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigd4207, Apr 28, 2006.

1. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    I have recently purchased a used Fernandes FGI active preamp, does anybody know how to wire it? It has a volume pot and a balance/blend. I want to take those off and put my stock pots on it - master vol, balance, mid, bass. I can probably figure the ones that are hooked up but where do the green, orange, yellow wires go? Also the jack was disconnected, I know the brown and black from battery go to it but what else? Does it matter which wires are hooked up where on the jack? I need to know a lot on the preamp but it's a pain since it came on a bass, not sold as a single unit, thus no schematic exists. If anyone has a Fernandes bass and wouldn't mind cracking it open and checking it out for me I would appreciate it very much.

2. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    I will gutting mine soon to replace with EMG electronics but not for a few weeks, if that's any help to you?

3. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    That would be great, if you can please let me know where every wire goes while still intact with the pots. A list of pots used would help a little too. I would like to know the entire schematic but the wires indicated above are the "must have". Please get back with me as soon as possible. Thanx

4. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Fancy meeting you here!

I sent Fernandes an e-mail, they still haven't replied yet. The last time I had a question for them it took like a week. :X
    So your best bet would be to find someone like Rhythmbug who could open up theirs and show you the wiring diagram.

But as far as the pots go, the lower value ones would be for volume/tone and the higher value ones would be for bass/mid/treble boost.

5. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    Yeah, I have already tried to contact fernandes by phone and email. I knew more about what i was doing than the guy I talked to. He was saying they no longer make the FGI preamp. I said "dude, your website; 06 models; EMG's with FERNANDES FGI PREAMP!" He said "really?!?" But anyways I know trying to cantact them is useless....Hold up, Brad R. right? I just realized what you meant by fancy meeting you here. Haha, damn that's crazy, but did you not pay attention to where they went? No huge deal but I cannot find anyone that can tell me how to wire this bastard. Got the pickup in no problem, but preamps are beyond my understanding at this point, simply cause every one seems like is wired almost completely different. So again, PLEASE, ANYONE! HELP!!!!! ps. Brad, did your bass not have 2 emgs? I thought the auction was for 2, but it's cool. If possible, and you do have another would you sell it or was that one of the other auctions I saw for an emg? daddy he once told me "son you be hard workin' man", and mama she once told me "son you do the best you can", one day I met a man he came to me and said "hard work good, and hard work fine but first take care of head"

6. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Yep, yep. Brad R.

That was the other auction you saw. I listed it all together once, and some dude in Chile won, then he backed out on me and while that auction was running I kept getting emails for people asking me to sell one to them, so I relisted them individually.

As far as I know warm colors (red, orange, yellow, white) are hot leads and cool colors (blue, green, purple, black) are grounds... that's basically all my knowledge of preamps, other than the pot thing I mentioned previously.

I really should have been more observent when removing it. I am really sorry about that. :\

7. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    I will get that info for you from my lutheir.
    Though on second thought, I'm not sure if the Pre will be the same as yours. My bass was built around year 2000.

8. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    It's worth a shot, I don't think it would have changed that much.

9. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    Yeah, at this point, I don't really care. Any direction is better than none. But as long as it is the fgi, it should be wired about the same. Maybe different pots, but other than that I don't see why there would be a difference, even if it is from a different bass than what mine came out of. But either way, I would appreciate your help. This thing is driving me crazy can't wait to see what this sounds like. My mix of pickups is actually pretty cool, my stock one is flat sounding with deep lows, and the emg adds great mid presence. Now I just need that boost.