1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling in pickguard holes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JonnyAngle, Apr 27, 2010.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I like the feel of my Sterling without the pickguard, so I took it off. To fill in the holes I am considering your everyday wood filler. However, then I'll have a black bass with these tan dots on it where the pickguard screws were. Am I supposed to do a quick spray of black over the whole thing? I haven't seen any black wood filler.

The finish is a 7 out of 10 currently, but I don't want to encompass myself in a time consuming refinish. I guess the big questions is: Can I spray another layer of paint over my existing finish?

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i wouldnt spray the bass.
    you can spray wood filler however.
    honestly, id leave the holes.
    or you could fill it with black screws, but i dont know how that would look.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Why are you not using black epoxy?

4. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i think stewmac.com has some touch up stuff for guitar finishes.

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Sterling abuse - will be prosecuted to the full extent of the bass law! :crying:

What distinguishes an EBMM is the teardrop pickguard (usually). What if I came to your gig and didn't recognize your Sterling? Unknowingly to me, my respect for you will not be elevated like it would if you were playing an EBMM. :rollno:

Actually, I am just kidding (but don't do it!). You can color most wood filler. Ask somebody at Lowes or Home Depot about colored wood filler.

6. salman

salman

Oct 16, 2008
    I do know that they sell black (ebony) wood filler at Home Depot. About $5 and you won't kill the bass, when you decide to put the pick guard back o,no one will know the difference

7. Use the wood filler, let it dry and touch it up with a Sharpie.

8. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    To all of the nay-sayers... It feels so much better without it. I have been debating doing this for a long time, and it just feels right not having it. I guess I don't care if people recognize my bass.

9. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC

I was just playing with ya! Do what you want - it's all good. :)

10. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    right on, brother!

11. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    There really isn't much you can put in the holes that will look much better than the holes. Black epoxy, black enamel paint (nail polish), black bubblegum etc. If the body is high gloss black, anything is going to be very noticeable. Respraying the whole body would look horrible if you don't know what you are doing. MY suggestion, don't do anything. If the finish is now a 7 out of 10 then what does it matter.

12. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    what about black paint inside the holes?

13. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Screw some black pickguard screws in the holes ?

14. Black or chrome screws could look pretty cool IMO.

15. Black Sharpie?

16. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    expensive solution. wood filler and then professionally refinish entire body?

on that note, I was thinking of how to hide the holes left from an ashtray bridge cover. The bass is made of swamp ash and has a "natural" poly finish. Ash wood filler?

17. leave them. its cooler that way :)

18. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    only if the bass is older than I am:p

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    i would just leave the holes... i like a bass with dings and dents it adds character. my main gigging bass looks like i carry it around without a gig bag... its nice no one wants to try and steal it. I love that bass it sounds amazing.

20. Absolutely go with what you feel most comfortable with on your bass. As several posters have suggested so far, putting the screws back in is an option. Have seen a couple of Fender Jazz basses with their guards removed and the crews put back in that looked pretty sweet. Just make sure you give it a good polish to get rid of the line where the edge of the guard used to be, unless you want that ring of grime look. Stick some pics up too.