Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally.....I got myself a Warwick!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBRetro, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    i love warwick since the first time i heard it at one of my music store... and i made a promise to myself that one day i'd have one of my own.....now it's here....in my hands..it's a Streamer lx Jazzman 5 ..wow.....i just cant believe the sound i got out of it....it's amazingly awesome....the main reason why i bought this bass is because i'd be recording my 2nd album this wednesday....and what i'd like to know is if there're any tricks you guys do with your warwick streamer jazzman(or any other warwicks) in the studio.....i know that it's gonna sound great but i just would like to know if there're some tactics out there...

Attached Files:

2. Congrats, i'd love to have that bass in my hands right now... :bawl:

3. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    mmmm......i wish you could experiance the touch and the sound of warwick also.........good luck+++ hope you get it soon and dont 4get to tell me bout it

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Congrats!

I got my first W, a Corvette 6, 1,5-2 years ago. Had GAS for it from the first time I saw it, and was saving up for a lot of time for mine. I can understand what you feel.

As for studio, I'd try it just passive. EQ off. Should sound good. Real good ;)

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Congratulations, great looking Warwick, mine looks just like your but it's the LX 5-string. I think you'll find that little to nothing will need to be done in the studio to achieve a good tone. These basses just seem to sit in the mix very well. I've had nothing but good experiences in the studio with my Warwick basses. Maybe just keep a reasonably fresh set of strings on that bass.

6. I second that. If it's noisy or if you have long cable runs from the bass to an amp or D.I., put it in active mode with the EQ flat. It might sound a little weak while you're tracking with the drums but you'll appreciated it during mixdown if you have loud distorted guitars.

A fresh set of strings will give you more lows, mids and highs (you can always roll off the treble in mixdown if it's too much but it's not as good to boost it).

Congrats!

7. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Good looking bass!!!!!

I plug my corvette 5 string active right into my Motu 896 sound card. I leave the EQ's in the detent position (flat) and it's all I ever need for recording. There is zero noise unless you boost something, but totaly flat is what you want anyway. IMHO

8. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    so....what i really need to do is just dail it flat and boost if nessesary right? anymore techniques?"""
    oh....and it'd be great if you could post some of your streamer for me....thanx

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I did our second cd with my corvette and got the best recorded bass sound I've ever had. Used 2 channels, one live (miked) and one direct. I just got the sound I wanted and went for it. Warwicks aren't noisy and unless you're playing some really quiet stuff I can't really see boosting any of the electronics making it noisy. I think if it sounds good out of the amp it's going to sound good recorded, unless the person recording you doesn't know what they're doing.

Congratulations. Your bass is the only bass other than a bongo that I've gassed for in the past 4 years.

10. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    thanks joe :p ........mmmm..............i'd also like to know what kind of strings you guys put on your Warwicks.......and which would give the best harsh sound(slap and hard fingering)
    thanks for helping me out here :D

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    very cool bass......looks almost just like my Spector...

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Congrats, the Streamer Jazzman is one I want to try one of these days. I finally got to try a bass with that pickup configuration, a Covette Jazzman and I liked it but the Streamer body design is the greatest. Enjoy!

13. What a fantastic bass. Congrats on the 'wick.

Post up some MP3's when you band finishes up at the studio.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    When I got my corvette it was real sizzly and clacky. It was advised that I put nickel strings on to warm it up a bit. I got myself a set of Daddario nickels and I've been using them since, on all my basses.

I think anyone's best bet is to try different strings and see what they like most. It's such a personal thing as it involves so many different elements - not to mention that ones personal definition of a sound may completely differ from anothers. What you described is NOT what I was looking for with the above mentioned strings, but if you heard it, might be EXACTLY what you're looking for. Did that make any sense? :meh:

15. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Congrats!

just play as much as you can before entering the studio, high end basses tend to be differend kinds of beasts, so it may take a while to find the "right touch".

above certain level of quality, it`s all about hands - there will be a big difference in sound between warwick played good, and warwick played sloppy :D

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, man. I love Streamers. Very nice flame on the body, too.

17. That thing is gorgeous. I would love to haev that bass with wider string spacing. I loved the tone of the Corvette FNA I played a while back.

18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I agree with above! change the strings before you go in. New warwicks generally come with red label warwick strings. I would atleast put on black labels. I always use DRs on my warwick

19. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    thanx guys....i'll make sure i put on my song for you ok?

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Mine had black labels... and they are all shipped with black labels AFAIK & according to the homepage. But I second the DR recommendation.

For slap I'd boost the higs a bit. And the lows, too, if you feel you need more. But the slap-sound is good in passive-mode, as well. I prefer passive as it sounds a bit more detailed and raw. When you switch to active, you can hear the it gets a bit smoothened out, and is not as detailed.