Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finally thinning the herd

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 30, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, since this recording project is almost over, I'm going to start unloading some of the wonderful gear I've accumulated during the last six months. Some of you may remember my post about a month ago regarding the volume of gear that's been piling up in the house, and I've finally reached the point of diminishing returns. Maybe finally reached the point of inverse GAS. I'm tired of tripping over an amp every time I have to get a patch cord from the other side of the room. I'm only keeping the stuff that's proven itself in the studio, like my Walter Woods. Everything else is going. Some nice stuff too, some BagEnd cabs, SWR amps, maybe even a bass or two. After all that it should be possible to get to the other side of the room again. Did you ever get to a point like that, where even the nicest vintage amps have to go 'cause they're in the way? I hope they go to a good home, 'cause I can't justify keeping anything that only gets played once a year. Some other player in need of a nice amp will be able to make good use of it. The reality is I'll probably never recover the time and expense I put into some of these amps to tweak 'em just right, but such is life. I didn't get these to collect, just to use 'em for a while. So I suppose the rest of it is rent:) Some eBay buyers are going to be real happy (hopefully they'll appreciate what they're getting)! Did you ever get to a point like that, where you just had to downsize? How bad was it, and how long did it take to come to terms with it?

2. I'm with you. There comes a point where the studio looks more like a museum and there is just too much gear. I made the decision about 6 months ago to cull some of the extraneous pieces. I managed to part with a V6 head that was a surplus / backup. I earmarked my Traynor Custom Special and it's 8x10" cab and folded horn 18". I also decided that my Trace Elliot refrigerator could go - an AH600SMX with TE 4x10"H and TE 18" cabinets. Removing this equipment would still leave four functional rigs here: practice, vintage, performance and backup.

Even the best plans sometimes go astray. For example, the the two big rigs should have gone to the local consignment shop yesterday but it snowed like crazy here. Somehow it's 6 months after the fact and the gear is almost all still here. Could it be a small reluctance on my part? Perhaps.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I hear you. The only way to do it is to get started. I've taken the plunge (search my monicker on eBay). There'll be more stuff as I get through the first layer. BagEnd cabs, SWR amps, even a couple of really nice basses (F bass, Roscoe). It's just gotten to that point. The herd needs thinning. That's okay, it'll give Santa the opportunity to be helpful this holiday season.

4. Sorta. At one time I owned every Ampeg bass cabinet SLM made, four heads, and three basses and thought I was swamped. Then I met Psycho Bass Guy.

5. Eleven basses, 24 amps, 16 cabinets, 3 guitars, 3 pedals and some miscellaneous recording gear: I don't suffer from GAS; I enjoy every minute.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have a couple basses laying around that are great basses, they just never get played. I have a Modulus Flea 5 and a MTD Kingston 5 fretless that always get passed over for another bass when its time to go to practice or play a gig.

I need to just sell them. I keep thinking about how I'll never get out of them as much as I paid, but that amount is still better than what I'm getting out of them sitting on the floor locked away in their cases.