1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding Dragonetti

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by moschizzle, Mar 28, 2006.

1. moschizzle

moschizzle

Mar 21, 2006
    Pittsburgh
    I'm trying to find a (free) recording of the Dragonetti Concerto anywhere on the internet. I know how the piece sounds, as I have been playing it for a while, but I just want to know what other bass players are doing with it. I also don't want to shell out 30 bucks at the moment to get a copy of Gary Karr's performance that is out of print.

I don't really care about the prestige of the player who's playing it, just want to hear how other players do it... I found one sight for a german bass masterclass, where I heard the third movement, but I can't find the first or second anywhere. So if you know of anybody (students/amatures even) who posted recordings of themselves playing the concerto online, I'd really love to know about it.

Thanks!

2. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Did you try the itunes store? I haven't searched for the Dragonetti before, but they did have a lot of Duncan McTier stuff recently, so it's definitely possible.
    good luck!

3. I have Gary's recording of all three movements. It's pretty good. PM me, and maybe I can send it to you on AIM or something. By the way, Gary plays his own cadenza, so if you're looking for a recording with the cadenza included, don't look at his.

4. moschizzle

moschizzle

Mar 21, 2006
    Pittsburgh
    thanks for the tip about itunes, girlbass.
    unfortunately, still no dragonetti. i wish it were that easy.
    however, you've opened my eyes to Duncan McTier... so I guess that's a bonus. Before, the only solo bass i could find on itunes was Joel Quarrington, and Edgar Meyer (but none of his classical stuff)

5. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    You can download a performance by Bertram Turetzky from his "Dragonetti Lives" recording using this link:

http://kingtet.com/recordrescuers/asx/adagio.asx

I'm not sure if it is related to what you are looking for, but it is a wonderful recording.

Jim

Apparently the album contains:

Bertram Turetzky: Dragonetti Lives

- Solo In Bb For Contrabass & Piano
    - Andante
    - Presto
    - Adagio
    - Allegretto
    - Three Unaccompanied Waltzes (C Major, A Major & Eb Major)
    - Adagio Allegro Non Tonto
    - Duo For Cello & Contrabass