Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding new posts

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by brianrost, Feb 2, 2004.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The old software allowed searching for "new since your last login", but now when I select "new posts" it looks like it only shows me posts made today.

How is this supposed to work now?

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You're lucky, When I click on it it just sends me to the search page. I know we're in the construction phase but so far I like the old set up better

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually it seems to be set to the "since last login" setting.

What I want to know is how to get the old "last 24 hours" search of all forums. Even though you can set it for any lookback period you want, the way it is now it wants a word for search criteria. This is a pain and incomplete. :confused:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mine seems OK, but I miss the "New in Last 24 Hours" search, too!

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The new searchback setup is great as you can set it to go back any length of time you want (i.e. it's not limited to "last 24 hours"). The problem is to use it, you have to give it something specific to search for. You can't have it just give you all the new posts like before.

I hope Paul can fix this.

6. Paul said it was okay for me to answer user questions here since I have my own vb3 bass forum - so I'll try not to steal his thunder, but if you're looking for the old "new in last 24 hours" thingie, bookmark

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily

I guess if enough people holler for the feature maybe Paul can get it in there for you. The link above will work in the meantime ;)

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    A better fix would be, rather than reinstate the "last 24 hours" setting, just make it so not putting any "Keyword" in automaticaly searches all forums for the searchback time specified. Or put in a "Search all forums" (non-keyword) option.

8. It's not an option without doing some code hacking, PhatBasstard - the search routines aren't built to work that way :(

I did try playing around with wildcards on the search page and had limited success - but I believe the minimum search length here is three characters.

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks Allan :) I'll get that link in the header one of these days :D

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates this being addressed (I'm just the most vocal :p ).