1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding the best mix

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by morebass4me, Jan 10, 2012.

1. morebass4me

morebass4me

Oct 15, 2009
    So I just barely started gigging with my band and the only thing we have running through the PA right now is vocals. I don't have a lot of experience and I'm just looking for general advice. Does anyone have any tips on getting a good mix with just amps? I did a search but didn't get any great results, if I missed threads please point the way :) Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Just do what you're doing, and get better at that.

In general, just walk out in front with a long cable and listen, then adjust accordingly.

Keep the low end out of the vocals and don't let the guitars or bass get too loud.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    It's a learning experience - always. Rolling off low end 150 hz and lower on vocals can be really helpful.

For shows like you are describing (I have done this setup many times):

Make sure the instruments are all above the drummer and no one is drowning anyone out. Make sure your bass tone is sitting somewhere in the mix. In a rock band, sitting somewhere in the 150-400hz zone for the bass is a great way to be heard in the mix.

For vocals, unless you have a compressor and know how to use it, the vocals are going to get a little buried with quieter passages. Make sure the usual singing notes and highest and most powerful singing notes are above the entire mix.

It's best to get a wireless unit and play with the band while standing out in the crowd for the sound check. That is the only way you can judge how it sounds.

4. +1

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I find that bass is often the hardest instrument to get right as far as volume is concerned if you are mixing from the stage and/or the bass is not part of the PA mix. The window where the bass is neither too loud nor buried can be pretty narrow. If you have a drummer who is too loud, the bass will usually be too loud as well.