1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding the First instrument

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JessRyan, Apr 18, 2009.

1. JessRyan

JessRyan

Apr 18, 2009
    Near Liverpool
    Hi everyone

I'm looking for my first bass 'eek' and i was wondering if there is anything i should look out for or avoid. I would mainly use for arco and i have a budget of 2.5k in october. just starting to look now. Thanks for your help

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Take a look at the newbie links. They contain a wealth of information. Then c'mon back with questions. If you are buying a new bass, then the minimum you will need to spend for a quality instrument with a good setup (very important!) is around $1500. There's no way around it. You'll end up spending that one way or another. Stay away from guitar stores and on-line musical mass merchants. Buy a bass from a real bass shop.

3. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    I agree. Play as many as you can and ask a million questions. Contact a luthier close to you and ask him/her a lot of questions too. Your luthier will become one of your best friends. Do not buy one quickly. Take your time. The bass for you should be special. You will hear it talk to you.

That's my 2 cents.

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Guys, she's only 14 years old and so smart! that's because she's a
    bassist and a Talkbass member! Welcome Jess, let us know about your teacher
    mind and any additional question about your first bass search.

5. Yes, "my" bass talked to me when I played it at my luthier's shop. It whispered, "$40,000 Mike, $40,000."

We're not speaking anymore.

6. scotty77

scotty77

Jan 31, 2008
    Victoria, B.C.
    Good one Mike. That's real good.:hyper:

7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Phone this guy he's in London
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536843
    He might do a better deal
    That's a beautiful looking bass and for the price quite reasonable
    Also ask him where the bass was repaired and ask the shop if they recommend it
    It's always good to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion

Personally I would recommend going to London with your teacher (and parents) . Hit as many shops as possible and try out a bunch of mid-high end basses to get a good feel for quality. Ask your teacher to audition some and stand back and listen. At the end of the day , go to see that Talkbass member's bass and try it out. By that time you will have a grasp of what sounds good and will be able to make a good decision.
    And including your parents will show them the difference between low/mid/high

If that isnt possible then ask a London talkbass member to audition it for you and report back

I always recommend buying a used bass
    Its had a chance to settle and as the wood ages it gets warmer sounding
    And also by that time it should have had the necessary setup and repairs

Thanks

Robert VanLane

8. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499564

There is also this bass a carved Romanian in London
    This in your budget
    But personally I would love to get that blonde German bass
    Try them both out or have a London talkbass member try them out
    I would suggest to pay them a finders fee plus travel expenses

Thanks

Robert VanLane

9. JessRyan

JessRyan

Apr 18, 2009
    Near Liverpool
    Thanks everyone for the help! Much appreciated

I live in liverpool so checking things out in London is abit tricky but thanks for the advice. Also i've bin looking at that bass but i'll have to wait until i get the money before i can go looking at stuff. What does everyone think of this
    http://www.moseleyviolins.co.uk/double_basses.php
    (the one at the bottom)

Thanks again for the help

10. JessRyan

JessRyan

Apr 18, 2009
    Near Liverpool
    I know this has already been asked thousands of times, but does the size matter? I'm 5'10 and i currently play a school bass which is 3/4, and my bass teacher thinks it's too small because i can't move the endpin. Would it be better to get a full size or am i being picky? Thanks for your help

11. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    3/4 is considered a "full size" double bass although there can be a lot of variation between basses labelled 3/4. I'm 6'4" and my 3/4 is plenty large enough. The problem when you get into 7/8 and 4/4 basses is a longer string length can make too long a stretch between notes in lower positions. Is the end pin stuck or just too short? You can always get a longer end pin if a bass is otherwise a good fit.

12. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    It's more sensible to get an adjustable endpin. There is no reason that I can think of for you to get a full size (7/8 or 4/4) bass. 3/4 is a virtual standard for people of all sizes

13. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
  14. JessRyan

JessRyan

Apr 18, 2009
    Near Liverpool
    I'm sorry they don't have any other information on the website, but i can always go and have a look in the shop nearer the time. About the endpin, it's like a really big old block of wood on the end that doesn't move, my bass teacher had a look and called it an 'abomination', so that sums it up quite well. The bass i'm using at the moment is an dark old school bass but besides that i have no other information.

15. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    If you get an used bass , you will not lose as much money on resale. That Chinese bass would sell for half or less used
    But that Romanian or German you would be able to resell them at or around what you paid.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

16. So, I'm less than an inch taller than you, and I can't stand basses bigger than 3/4 'cause I can't reach around them comfortably; in fact, my bass is a little on the small side for a 3/4. Save the big basses for the 6'4" and taller folks. I do have about 5" of endpin out when I play, so obviously an adjustable pin is necessary.

17. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Here is a list of UK shops that do repairs
    There is one in Leicester
    He has some Romanian basses and some other used ones
    http://www.gollihurmusic.com/luthiers.cfm

Look for a shop that has a specalist in bass luthier
    Because you will need a good luthier to really get your bass sounding good. And then every so often you will bring it back to get adjusted

Thanks

Robert VanLane

18. The bass you linked to looks very much like a Christopher 400 series, and the price is plausible too. See here (roughly 2/3 of the way down the page): http://www.bassbass.co.nz/new_bass.htm