Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingerboard and laminate lifting

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by andysvec, Sep 24, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I need some help/advice on repairing my upright.

When I shipped it from Hawaii to Guam these two things happened en route.
    - First, the fingerboard is lifting from the neck on the bass side.
    - And if that isn't enough, the laminate is lifting in one spot also.

I don't really have anyone here on island to do repair, so I'll have to give it a shot myself. The whole fingerboard isn't loose (yet), just all along the one side. And the pic shows the lifted laminate spot also.

How do I attempt to glue these repairs? What kind, how to apply, etc.
    Any and all advice is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Could you post some additional photos of the neck/fingerboard joint? I'm not seeing it clearly...

As far as the rib laminate goes.... get 3 or 4 "Quick-Grips" clamps. Many different manufacturers make them; they look like this:

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_item_detail.cfm?subcat_ID=23

(This is the best I can do for posting pics.... sorry)

Anyway, you need Quick-Grips that are large enough to span the width of the rib (8"). Secure the clamp to the rib structure, with the pads touching the back and belly of the bass. Now, using little wedges of wood, fit them under the Quick-Grip bar... between the bar and the rib. This will apply pressure to the neccessary area. You should use some wax paper or thin plexiglass between the wedges and the ribs. I would use hide glue for this. There will probably be some "squeeze-out"... let it dry, then clean it up later with warm water and a damp rag.

g/l.