Fingerboard rattle

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Crumpton, Aug 19, 2005.

1. OK - its more of an anoying buzz but if I called the thread fingerboard buzz it might make you think this was about fingerboard profile.

If I stop a low B or C on either the E or A string I get a buzzy rattle. Grabbing hold of the end of the fingerboard stops it. I can also recreate it by tapping/flicking the end of the fingerboard.

I can't tell where it is coming from either - if I listen to the top end of the fingerboard it could be there or if I listen to the bottom it could be there also. I see nothing loose and no gaps.

For the majoriy of the time it's drowned out and I don't notice it but when I do it drives me nuts. However, what I'm really worried about is that it may indicate structural weakness.

Anyone got any ideas as to the casue, the rememdy and whether the remedy is worth it please kind people? :confused:
  2. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Is it possible that your truss rod is all the way loose. I have seen that cause that rattle before.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Huh? Where would one find this truss rod?
  4. Thanks for the sugestion but double basses don't have them - not what I said what it was. Some electric upright basses do though. Also, some luthiers reinforce DB necks with carbon fibre but this bass isn't of that quality :( .

Welcome to the dark side of TB :ninja: .
  5. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Take it to a luthier and have him glue it back on?
  6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It is possible that there is a small crack in the fingerboard. Little buzzing can be the result of the tiny-est crack vibrating madly. Has the bass been in any recent collisions with amplifiers or doorways?

Or, grab the neck with your left hand. Stick your right hand under the fingerboard where it projects over the body. Gently use your right hand as a wedge and see if the fingerboard is, in fact, glued on. Just a little pressure will show a failed ebony/maple glue joint (assuming you have an ebony board).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have been where eldave is at so many times it's not even funny!
  8. Yeah I've sort of pulled at it but very tentatively - I'll have another close inspection tonight. It is ebony - not very classy stuff. I don't remember any crashes and clunks recently. I was dead chuffed one night when someone staced a lot of folding steel chairs on top of the neck :eek: .

Thanks a lot for the tips Nick! :hyper:
  9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

I haven't heard of being "dead chuffed" before, but I think I get the picture. What moron stacks folding chairs on an instrument?
  10. Sorry I was being ironic BTW - if you are 'dead chuffed' with something its because you're really pleased as in 'Nick was dead chuffed Arnold thought Nick's basses sounded better than a Panormo'.

It was a singer/songwriter/community musicians type of night and they had to make space for the local djembe (pronounced jemby) troup. In case this phenomena is not known stateside, djembes are African drums and every self respecting alternative and festival going person has one - usually to entertain the whole of any camp-site right the way through 'till dawn. They are carried around to show membership of the club and that you are OK and hip. At least there are a few peope who can play these things. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've looked over the bass and tugged it here and there and found nothing. At least its quiet for now. I'll look more carefully and keep checking I guess.