Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard vs. Strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Henke, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Hello. I dont know if this is the rigth topic to post under, but here we go:

I recently (like 1,5 weeks ago) got a set of Eurosonic Ultra Light strings.
    I really like them. But unfortunatly my bass dont.
    They are great for my rockabilly-slap playing, but there's a problem.
    You see, when I play them they make this really annoying "bzzz" sound (mostely around the F-note on the D-string, and the B-note on the G-string).

I've tried to higher my adjustable brigde to get the string a little bit higher from the fingerboard to avoid the "bzzz"-reaction. But no use.

I called this luthier guy and he said I should bring the bass in next week and maybe he was going to have to sand the fingerboard down a bit.

Does anyone know another way I could try and do before I turn it in to him to see if I can fix it myself?

Thank you.
    //Henke

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Those strings need a more "scoop" in the fingerboard than steel strings. If you raised your string height up with the bridge adjusters and it still buzzes, there isn't much else you can do.

3. Thanx Nick. I guess I've tried all Im capable of doing then. It's in the hands of the luthier now.
    I'd really hate to get new strings.. I really like the ones I got now. Well, I hope it works out.
    If not, I guess I'll have to get a new bass hehe.