Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingerstyle help please!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by X2N, Jan 3, 2004.

1. X2N

X2N

Dec 1, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    hey guys....

i just bought a bass guitar today, and i was trying to work on picking, i read this lesson here....

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/woodshed/bass/bass.htm

which says that i should alternate with my first 2 fingers, going middle-index-mid-ind-mid-ind etc etc.. but while moving from a higher string to a lower string.. e.g. from the G string to the D string I should use the same finger to pick twice - then continue alternating....

now that worked fine when i only had to move from the G to the D or the D to the A, but when i had to skip a string.. e.g. from the G to the A string... that doesnt seem to work, as the finger i just picked with has come to rest on the string in between (in this case the D string)... and its really hard to use the same finger twice.... hence i now get very confused with the technique....

what should i do in that situation?? OR should I strictly alternate pick like I do on guitar - regardless of whether im going across two adjacent strings??

it would be great if you guys could tell me how you pick with your fingers... i.e wether you strictly alternate or something different? im not really looking to try and play with 3 fingers just yet...

its kinda frustrating... ive played guitar for 6 years.. so im fairly proficient.. if my left hand wants to do something.. my right hand knows exactly what to do to make it work... now i got this bass.. and my left hand can do all sorts of things.. but my right just says NO... LOL!!!
    i know all it takes is time and practise... but still...
    :)

thanks for the help guys...
    vinay

2. You need to find your own playing style, lessons (imho) should only really teach you how to clean up your technique.
    In the case of going from the G to A string, if you plucked the G with your middle finger, then you could try curling your index finger in to pluck the A. Of course, this would only really work if you had your thumb resting on the E string or the pickup.
    Alternatively, you could float your thumb and move your hand up to pluck the A after the G.
    Another option would be to use your thumb to pluck the A.

Really, it's all about what you're comfortable doing. Find what works for you, and stick to it until you find something that works better. :p