1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finish touch-up?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GregDunn, Apr 26, 2010.

1. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    On the Basses forum I've posted pics of my new old Ibanez SR400 trying to get the approximate age. While that debate continues I intend to clean it up and start playing it. :)

There are a bazillion pick scratches on the front; no biggie, I know how to get those out. But the headstock has a couple of scrapes that marred the clear coat on the front - not down to the paint though.

1) How to fill or obscure these? They're just a little too deep to polish away and I'd like them to be unobtrusive unless you look up close.

2) How best to make sure the final polish on the body is smooth and free of those tiny circular scratches that most polishes leave? I have a coarse polish (which is really more of a fine polish), a fine polish and a shine/protectant made for poly finishes but I'm not sure how much time to spend on each one (and the cloth to use) to make the final result smooth and "shiny" as opposed to kinda dull and lifeless? I'm willing to spend the time.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    What's the finish?

3. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    It appears to be a poly finish much like the newer SRs, over the paint or whatever coloration they use...