Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Firefox + WinXP = Non-functioning post GUI

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by James Hart, Jan 11, 2006.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Paul, I'm running the newest Firefox on XP pro and since your upgrade, none of the smileys or buttons work when creating a post.

I can choose a "Post Icon", "preview" and/or "submit" but nothing else.

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I'm running the same setup (firefox 1.5, xp pro) and cannot duplicate your issue - anyone else?

3. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Confirmed here. Exactly the same configuration and symptoms.

Also, I presume the front (Home) page layout was *supposed* to change, but just in case it wasn't: All of the old header information is gone. It's mostly blank now, with just the user's avatar to the left and a couple of links under. (Thankfully I can still get to "new posts" there! ;) )

(And no, I inserted that smiley by hand.)

'rick

EDIT: Just tried it under Firefox 1.0.4, same symptoms.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I had the same issue at the office last night/this morning (pulled the midnight shift).

previous Firefox and XP home.

At the office was prior to the latest MS patch, at home I'm patched (did it before I left for work).

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Same here. :confused:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    same here, too

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    No sure if it's a help... but I've attached a screen capture of this window

Or not... I see the line for file extensions but no way to add any.

[​IMG]

8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Do you have javascript enabled? (Tools -> Options -> Content)

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yes

10. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:
    Why it would work fine for me I have no idea... Try changing your editor preferences (My TalkBass -> Edit Options -> Misc Options - try switching the Message Editor Interface from standard to enhanced, or vice versa and let me know if that affects anything.

I'm assuming if you pull out IE it works fine?

11. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    OK, try this:

Press control-F5 in firefox when viewing the post editor. This will reload your javascript files.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Cool, actually it was fixed earlier but odd smileys were where other stuff should be....

I did the control F5 and it looks good

:mad: :rolleyes: :ninja: :p

everything seems to function. Thanks Paul

Attached Files:

13. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Yes, Javascript was enabled. Hovering the pointer over the various smileys did not change the pointer's shape and none of the other icons highlighted. After doing a <control><F5>, hovering changes the pointer to a clicky finger for smiley icons, and the other icons highlight. Of the few I checked, all seemed to work okay.

My best guess is that some of the Javascript changed with the upgrade. Did those of us it failed for still have a TB page up from yesterday? I leave browser tabs open on sites I visit regularly. Maybe we were left with old code that wasn't compatible and forcing a reload cleaned things up? Perhaps it worked fine for everyone who logged in cleanly after the upgrade. (Paul, I'm betting you did a clean restart of your browser or forced a page reload after the upgrade to make sure everything looked right, which would explain why you didn't see the problem.)

Maybe a quick news item on the front page letting folks know to force a refresh if they have issues would be wise?

Thanks for the continued efforts, by the way (though that should hardly be a "by the way!")

'rick

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ctrl and F5 worked for me!

:)

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm having exactly the same problem with IE & Win XP SP2, Paul. Switched the message editor interface from standard to enhanced with no results.