Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Firepod problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Got a firepod about 7 weeks ago. I've not really done much yet (group still working on live projects), but I have laid down a few tracks (mostly bass and vocals) without any problems.

Before anyone asks - I've spent the last half hour looking through the search function - really not finding answers yet to my problem (outlined below).

Well, today I upgraded the Firepod with the brand new drivers/firmware (to support multiple firepods) - seemed to go o.k. Then I ran into problems. Below I've copied the email I sent to presonus' tech support:

copy: Jonathan,

First - hope the new storm doesn't hit you guys too hard (and that all your families are out of harm's way).

Second - I'm discouraged and need help with the Firepod. I was excited today about the publishing of the new driver and firmware. I downloaded them, and things seemed to be fine (loaded and updated). I then plugged my bass into input 1 and recorded a song track....sounded great on playback. Then I connected line 3 from my vocal mic and played/sang/recorded a song. On playback....nasty clicks all the way through. I then worked on isolating the problem. Plugged my bass directly into line 3....input side of the pot (input/playback pot on front of firepod) was clean and great...playback side had the nasty clicks....then tried line 4 (bass)...same result - nasty clicks.

So then I put the bass back on input one and did the vocal mic on line 3....nasty clicks....then I put the vocals in line 1 with the bass in line 3 (at a super low volume (pot turned to about 10:00) on the front of the Firepod. This worked O.K., but the signal from the bass had to be boosted all the way up using the Cubase mixer just to somewhat balance the voice.

Bottom line is that something isn't set or working right, and I need some help. Is it a latency setting (as the potentiometer on the front "input" is completely clean...it's only the "playback" side that has the clicking and snapping). It's not a clipping issue (as the input monitor is completely clean. Is it a driver issue with the new driver? This is definitely a possibility as I've not had this issue before loading the new driver and firmware.

I'd love your ideas as it's very discouraging to have such a great piece of gear and not be able to use it to get a workable recording.

Thanks,
    Jay

End of copied email.

My system is:

Intel Celeron M at 1400 Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    Not much else running on the laptop except this software (Firepod and Cubase LE).
    4-pin firewire connection

Hope that covers it - I'm baffled as I've used this to do those other tracks with no issues whatsoever. Everyone says the unit has LOTS of headroom...so it makes no sense.

Other ideas....buffer settings (how to do that and why now)? ....sound card/firewire bus conflicts (don't know anything about this).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jay

2. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Definitely sounds like a latency/buffer setting. Gotta play around with it until you find something that works. Check out the manual, either the one that came with it or the pdf version online. I really doubt there is anything wrong with the hardware. Computer recording can be frustrating, I know, but if you keep at it you will not only figure it out, but you'll also learn something about your computer and your interface.
    Some good websites to go to with your problem? Harmony Central, http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31 Gearslutz http://www.gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?f=13, or the British site Sound on Sound http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/p...713b5ed9cd389c21df37be21b737&Cat=&Board=PCMus. Someone at one of these sites will help you as they have me many times. There are a lot of Firebox users at all of them.