Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first amp upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Jul 7, 2004.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    now i know there are loads a threads around here with all the 'can ye help me choose an amp' kinda thing going on but i really am a bit stuck

the amp i have is barely worth mentioning though it does me when im practicing or learning music at home. but im about to start gigging again and i know i need to upgrade

im prepared to save up my cash and any money i can snaffle from rich benefactors bank accounts but i need something to work towards

in my band at the moment i play pretty fast punk music so i like a lot of high end with a nice jaggy fruity sound to cut through - i normally enlist the help of a bad ass bigg muff for this purpose but i do like to play much smoother ambient drum and bass style on my fretless so hopefull out there somehwere there might be an in between kinda thing going on?

when ive been in rooms and studios ive liked playing with trace elliot but i find that they are jaggy and nothin else - not very warm when u want it to be if u know what i mean?

so anyway i guess wat im after is some recommendations so i can get my ass down the shops and try out a few

all help will be greatly appreciated and pls dont send cash in the post - cheers!!! :cool:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd say look around at used stuff too
    it sounds like you would probably be happiest with 10's for your styles of playing - and 300 + watts couldnt hurt either
    i always reccomend going the head/cabinet(s) route rather than combo's so it is easier to upgrade later but it's up to you and your wallet

3. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    cheers for the reply

would anyone recommend a particular brand also bearing in mind the sortof sounds i like to make?

Lins

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Small budget - Peavey
    Big Budget - Ampeg (Punk classic) mabye Eden

HTH
    Jack

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For a nice crisp sound I prefer Gallien-Krueger. A Big Muff get's it fuzzy as hell. They're not inexpensive, but cheaper than Ampeg. :)

6. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    Thanks for the help bhoys

ill get my wee bum down to the shops this weekend and prob just take out some finance or summat heh heh

cheers

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

If you liked Trace Elliot, but found it a bit lacking in places....you might wanna try out some Ashdown gear........just might be what you're after!

8. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    cheers john bhoy,

ill be sure to thank all u lot when i have the ole debt collectors round for a wee cop o nambarrie

;)

9. Definitely go with a Gallien Krueger setup if you can find one in Scotland for a decent price. Their amps are very versatile and can do some great things for punk music.

Ashdown might be a good avenue or some of the Trace Elliot tube/solid state hybrid amps. If you can swing the green, you'd be incredibly pleased with one of their V6 tube amps. It's super loud, and can get pretty much any tone you want.