First solo gig!!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by oneoftheway, Dec 14, 2003.

1. oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hey, just thought guys guys might like to know how my first solo performance went.
    I had my first solo performance tonight and i was really skeptical of how it would go. I was a bit nervous(im only 15). My man idea was to go out their with a few ideas and just expand on them as i went. Ive found out i really like doing it that way rather than playing set peices. I took Dune Tune(Mark King)and really mixed it up!! I went fingerstlye, slapped it put harmonics in it lots of chords even experimented with a bit taping and bending the neck getting a tremlo effect happening. Even a bit of strumming and raking which went really well!!! There were alot of bands their and some absolutly crazy Piano recitations. Well at the end of the night they gave the awared to best performance of the night----- AND I WON!!!! Crazy, lots of people their haddnt even heard solo bass before and took it really well! I thought one of the jazz bands thier would get it, or this crazy classical guitar group!!! I guess they just enjoyed some music that was a bit dareing and different. One of the guys their was talking to me and goes "man, that was great, it takes balls to do your own thing". Anyway just telling you soloers how my first experience as a soloist was!;) I'll be getting into far more!!!!!!!!
  2. I wish that there were more guys like you in Sydney!:bassist:
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That's great news - well done!!

Hopefully this will serve as encouragement to the other budding soloist in our little cyber bass-nest here to go out and have a go.

Keep it up, and keep reporting back on how future gigs go!

well done again,

4. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Congrats on your first gig, how exciting! :)

Hey, I'm working on it hehe. I actually put on a little performance for my family last night. I messed up a bit, but it felt good. :D
  5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That's great! Playing for your family is a great way to start - and the way that most musicians start... Any audience that is going to allow you to mess up without judging you is a great place to test out ideas!

Now do it again...! :D