1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First time changing stocks(pre amp and pickups) advice needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ian the bassist, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I'm just posting up as I've decided I'm definitely going to change the pre amp in my bass, but I might change the pickups down the line also. I own a streamer lx jazzman bass. I apologise in advance for the length of this, but want to get as much detail as possible into the post.

At the moment I only really use the humbucker, as I get the aggressive, yet clear punchy tone I crave with it(bass boosted to about 90% with mids at about 75 and treble at 70). I do love the jazz pickup though. It's really punchy and great for slap(just not enough power compared to the humbucker). I always thought there was something up with my preamp though, as I could never blend the two pickups without substantial volume loss and loss of definition.(hoping changing the preamp will fix this) and always liked the idea of both pickups together, if I could achieve it without losing tone and volume.

I was thinking of going with a 4 band(bass,low mid, high mid, treble, I only have a 3 at the moment, but would love more control) Seymour Duncan and maybe change the pickups with basslines as well(mm and jazz). I'm clueless on pre amps and pickups, so was wondering if anyone knew if this would be compatible? What is the typical price for a pre amp and for the pick ups? Any places to find them in particular(not finding really any European choice) Want to get the best possible equipment, so don't mind spending a bit on everything.

Thanks in advance

2. Bump. Please help .

3. z_nyo

z_nyo

Mar 10, 2008
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hi there ian,

I always shop my electronics at http://www.bestbassgear.com

they have large selections of pickups and preamps as well as helpful staffs. you can always ask whatever questions you have in mind.

You can always mix and match different brands of pick ups and preamps...some people might argue that pickup/preamp combo should come from same brand, but each to their own....

I personally like to go more adventurous by mixing 'em up...currently have bartolini NTBT and EMG HZ pickup on my spector....and also Nordstrand P and Bartolini NTMB on a P bass.....

I love how bartolini preamp color the sound...

hope this helps

PS: bestbassgear ships internationally too....some countries like mine require to use "US ADDRESS" for shipment, you can always use online services like myus.com or personal favorite of mine, hopshopgo.com ...

4. Thanks for the advice. Grateful for that. Is there no one else who as an opinion also? Would love to get as many people with experience in this field as possible.

5. I would go with Delano, they are very high end, German made pickups, and I'm sure you won't regret. You just have to know what do you except from sound.

For aggressive, in your face sound I would go with large poles pups.

If you wanna something smoother, choose from other options they offer

You can order directly from Delano

http://www.delano.de/home.html

or here:

www.bassparts.de

I would recommend Glockenklang or Delano preamp, or John East (these are pretty expensive but worth every penny)