1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Time Recordings?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by perrytelephone, Oct 16, 2006.

1. perrytelephone

perrytelephone

Jun 24, 2006
    Burlington
  2. I forgot exactly where I read it, but the bass and kick drum share mostly the same frequiences. With that in mind, try a Shure Beta 52 Kick drum mic. It'll DEFINETLY capture that low end boom for your dub lines.

That interface will also work, but as far as I could tell you can only record at most 4 mics at once. If you can spring for the extra $200, the FIREPOD is excellent. It basically gives you an 8 track studio for 500 bucks. It connects via firewire to the computer, and can track all 8 inputs simultaniously.

3. For mics, I like the Shure Beta 52, Audix D6 or a Audix D4.
    But great results can be had by going direct, or DI from your amp.

How many channels do you need to record at once?

4. perrytelephone

perrytelephone

Jun 24, 2006
    Burlington
    We have a 24 channel mixer and only one instrument at a time.

5. That unit would work then if you are only doing one inst at a time. For drums it's a different story though. You would have to plug all the mics into your mixer, mix the drums to perfection, then use the outs of the mixer into two of the inputs on the DAC. The downfall of this is that you loose adjustability on the drums.

6. davidk_528

davidk_528 There goes the neighborhood...

Jul 20, 2006
    Seattle Area
    In a previous life I was a recording engineer. We always recorded one bass channel direct. Sometimes we would mic the cabinet too. When we mic'ed the cab, these were our mics of choice:

Sennheiser 421
    EV RE20
    AKG D-12E

+1 for recording the bass flat or near flat (no EQ) and then adding any EQ, compression or effects during mix.

Generally used a similar approach when mic'ing the cab, unless there was some blatent EQ problem we wanted to fix up front.

Good luck.

7. Ronan

Ronan

Jun 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    A Yamaha sub kick will work really well for recording deep bass.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've had good results using a Sennheiser MD421 and AKG D-12. The Subkick should be good for capturing the low end but you'd definately need another source for upper mids and highs. I've also heard good things about the Blue Kickball but I've never used it.

I would run the bass into a nice DI (Countryman/Radial/etc), send the mic line out to the board, and send the 1/4" out to your amp. Mic the cab and adjust the mic's distance until the two sources are phase aligned. Compress, EQ, and mix as needed.