1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first timer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, May 24, 2004.

1. I just did my first recording using my computer and N-track software, and I'm not even experienced enough in recording to be called a Newbie! I've gigged on an off for about 8 years, however.

I just have the audio card that came with (AC97 something or other) the computer. I recorded 2 tracks of acoustic guitar, bass, vocal, a metronome/click track, and some homemade percussion using an acoustic guitar with a sponge under the strings (actually gave a believable kick drum sound).

anyway, I just wanted to comment on how different it seems you must eq the bass guitar for the mix, vs. how I normally have it sound for live/practice. I found I really needed up the high mids and cut back the lo lows. I think I read somewhere that a good bass track will be somewhat "noisy" when soloed, and I guess that's right. When I playback all tracks together and have the bass how I like it, and then solo the bass track, it's nothing like I would have it sound in a live situation. I wonder if I should EQ more like this for live sound now; maybe I'm getting lost in the mix for all the low-end mud. Note, for gigging I normally leave everything pretty much flat on my Fender Jazz, and have the Tone control about in the middle; I didn't want to give the impression that I'm a lo-end hog.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Mark

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    In my experience you can't compare live eq-ing with recording eq-ing. Most of my time spent playing is in the studio. No matter who the engineer is I notice the same thing - my solo'd bass tracks sound NOTHING like I would want them too, but then you hear it in the mix and it sounds amazing. I wouldn't go changing your live sound based on what you are doing in a studio situation.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    There was a band called "Player" in the 70's. They were a (just awful) top-40 act, but their big hit "Baby Come Back" was used as a demo/teaching aid to walk the listener (it was one of those flimsy records you could find in an instruction book) through the phases of a studio recording session. They went through laying down the basic tracks... and when they got to the bass track, I was pretty shocked at the real chincey, plinky (ugly) sound that went to tape!

Now, I won't be heard saying that the resulting sound at the end of the record was mind-blowing! Because it wasn't... :meh: But, it was bass- solid, punchy, Fender bass. And if you'd heard the track solo'd, you'd probably have been as shocked and entertained as I was! (Really, I felt kind of bad for the guy at the time) :p

This subject has been around the block on a couple forums...

Plink...

4. sorry, after I posted a saw a similar recent thread about this same topic. I guess it's common knowledge. It was just so shocking that I felt I had to comment.

I've only done one "studio" record, and always thought the guy recording it (also a bass player) knew what he was doing. But now that I think back, my sound couldn't have been what it should have been. I sent my live EQ to the board. As a result, the bass is somewhat lost in the mix on the cd. Oh well, live and learn.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Yep, it's not a new concept, and since home recording has become such a booming endeavor/business, some of those "studio secrets"- that more fundamental (analog!) understanding that came before soundcards, VST plug-ins and bit depth- have gotten by the new wave of home-engineers! Yay for forums, and for those who inhabit their deep waters, to those of us who are in pursuit... :hyper:

And it's funny how once you've learned something, it suddenly falls into the "Obviously" category... :p

In this life, you shall have treble. Sorry. :rollno: