1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fishman bp-100 - leaving clamps on?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PMZ, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OK

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Dumb and lazy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PMZ

PMZ

Dec 1, 2018
    Without starting a thread about how much the BP100 sucks (just got one for my upright), do you think it is okay to leave the pickups and clamps on semi-permanently or for long periods of time, or is that just dumb and lazy and potentially bad for pickups and bass?

Thanks

2. Me personally, I used to use a drop of clear nail polish to hold the elements in place, didn’t like the sound with the clamps, plus very easy to remove without harming the pickup or the bridge. My 2 cents.

3. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Absolutely. I used - David Gage's advise - a drop of Krazy Glue. The sound is better - those clamps are mutes - and they'll pop off easily with a thin blade if necessary. That pick up is a little outdated and maligned, but in the real musical world it can work just great. Two of my favorite guys who played very different music: Red Mitchell and Fred Hopkins made wonderful music with it.

Vinny Vincenzo likes this.
  4. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Where is the best place for them? Between the e+a, d+g?

5. My best results, between e and a , d and g, but I would use the clamps to find the sweet spot on the bridge then I would partially outline the elements lightly with a pencil remove the clamps apply nail polish in the locations then hold the elements in position for a few seconds,never fell off. Never thought about glue though, just took advice from Dave Santoro. Worked well for me, gotta have a good preamp though.