1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fitting A Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lonote, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Is fitting a new bridge difficult? I have Bob Gollihur's instructions and it doesn't seem to be a very hard task. I have 30 years+ experience doing all kinds of work on my EBG's so I know what I'm doing, generally speaking, but this is a new cahllenge.

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I didn't have too much trouble re-fitting the bridge on my bass, the feet were the most challenging. I'd say woodworking experience is very useful, EBG's setup experience will help, I have that as well as some experience with violin & 'cello setup, so I was a bit better off.

I would also do a search in this section for bridge fitting, I found a few topics myself when I was wondering about it. I especially liked a 'carbon paper' method I read about on here.

I used this diagram to get the correct thicknesses, BTW.

EDIT: I also found THIS website very helpful, it's where I actually found the diagram. It also talks about 'spreading' the feet of the bridge, which is something you should probably be aware of - wasn't too difficult to do, BTW.

Attached Files:

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You have to choose a bridge blank that fits your bass as well. The spread of the feet has a relationship to the bass bar. Too wide or narrow a blank and you're going to have trouble getting the bass to sound and respond properly. Also, a luthier will have several grades of blanks and, if he knows your bass and taste, can cherry-pick a blank that will further make you happy.

4. I think I'll give it a try and, if I notice that I'm in over my head, I'll have Quinn's take a look at it. As always, thanks for your help and advice. I think Talkbass is a fabulous site, I post more often on the EBG area (where I can give advice rather than ask for it) but you guys have been a valuable resource to this poor, clueless old fart.