Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fixing my speaker??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Aug 10, 2004.

1. okay i have moved but about a month ago i was still living at my old place and my mom came down with her truck to move some of my stuff and so she took my bass cab and somehow i got to my new place and it had a hole in it near outside edge at about 1:30 and the hole is about a inch in diamiter all the material is still there so it got punctured not cut and of course it sounds horrible is there anyway to get a decent sound out of my cab again? anyway thanks in advance and dont mind my lack of grammar

shayne

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    This may not work, but it did work for me once. There is a black glue (almost a tar) that always stays flexible, it's sort of a rubber cement and is actually used for gluing rubber and other flexible objects. You can paint this on thickly to hold the paper back together and in a day or so try it out. If it works, great, if not, you've wasted a couple dollars on a tube of strange glue and will need to get your speaker reconed or replaced. BTW, I found the glue at a regular hardware store.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

4. Try to apply silicone. It's available in any hardware store. However, if that doesn't work you'd have to bite the bullet and have the woofer reconed.

5. I have used silicon adhesive caulk, available at any hardware store, Home Depot, etc., to repair rips in speaker cones. It works very well and it seems to be a permanent repair.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is the hole in the paper cone or the surround?

Can you post a picture?

I've had excellent results repairing paper cones with tissue paper and nylon based fingernail polish (Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails). I can give details...

If it's in the surround, I can suggest a fix but I'd like to see a photo first if at all possible.

7. okay so here are some pics god i had to resize them like 10 times before they would fit the limits set up on the attachment program oh well i hope they are good enough i can take a closer shot or 2 of u want me to

8. cropped pics

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks!!!

Piece of cake!!!

Get a bottle or two of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails nail polish. It has nylon in it and is flexible. I use clear for obvious reasons ;)

Take a sheet of toilet paper (I'm serious) and take the plys apart. Tear it into little strips about 1 cm or so wide (a little less would be good...not too wide but allow for a nice overlap of the tear).

Carefully push the displaced section of cone back into place. Then paint a line of nail polish around the tear on the front side of the cone. Place a small strip of tissure on the nailpolish, then paint some more on top until the tissue is saturated.

When the nail polish is dry, paint over it again in a pattern that is slightly wider.

I usually do four or five coats. After the first one is done on the front and allowed to dry, do the same thing on the back of the cone.

It won't look very pretty, but it's a good permanent fix. I put an EVM 15 back together this way and gigged with it loudly with no problems. The speaker was an eBay purchase that was described as needing a recone job but the photos looked better than the actual speaker did. I'm a tightwad so I figured that I'd try to fix it first...it's been well used over the past 4 years and hasn't caused any problems.

Have fun!!!

10. thanks a ton i will do that tonight peace.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You're welcome...

Please let me know how it goes (and make sure that the nail polish dries before you put on another coat).

Also...have a Happy Birthday!!!

12. all right i am all done but it is still untested i am waiting for it to dry and also we rent out the basement suite so i cant play it now at 9:00 because our renter gets up at 6:00 so heres the finished product will write a review on it tommorow. oh and the back side is done but i forgot to take a picture before i put the speaker back in the cab.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    interested to see how it went
    next time put a grille on your cabinet :D

14. i had a grill on my cab although its just a wooden frame with a cloth grill i really have no idea how it got a hole in it in the first place but oh well

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looks good!!!

Is that a Vega speaker? The redish surround looks like the 18 that I had in my former Acoustic 301 cabinet.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Those grill's are useless.

Try something like this:-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-376

Or go to a scrap metal yard and ask for "expanded metal" grill. They might even cut it to size for you.