Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flamenco struming

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by azeng808, Dec 15, 2005.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    How do I do this without hurting my hand? Is it suposed to hurt at first?

2. It shouldn't. Are you strumming with your nails? I assume you're referring to rasgueado strumming, right?

3. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    honestly i don't really remember if it hurt when i started this flamenco strumming. it actually takes a very little amount of force. i find that it can be painful if i'm just pounding out downstrokes. for some reason going up and down both makes it less painful. i find it easier to strum with my middle than my index. but i can do both now and if one hurts i can use the other. so being able to do it with both should help a bit also. but mainly just dont' hit it too hard.

4. when i first started, it hurt like a bitch sometimes. i started to get little cuts on my hand right in front of my fingernails. not on the palm side of my hand...the other side. i think it was mostly bad technique, though. i could be wrong though, because i have slight calluses there now.
    just keep practicing, and the pain will ago. at least it did for me. you should definitely stop, though, when your hand starts hurting.

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Start really slowly and under control so you can get the technique right - playing with the tips of your fingers and nails, not smashing the flesh above the nails.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Sounds like your hitting the strings too hard. Do as PKlima instructs