1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flanger question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lark, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey guys.

Looking into buying a new Flanger and have decided on two that i am interested in. My two favourites at this stage are the Boss BF3 and the Digitech Turbo Flange.

I have come to you for advice on a few things:

1) Has anyone tried the Digitech on bass? and if so, is it as good as the Boss? Im leaning towards digital as i am after versatility. I want to have subtle Flange and also the ability to have the "Jet Landing" sounds.

2) Through my research, i have found alot, but is there something exceptional that i am missing? I do like the TCE Vortex, and am not a fan of the EHX EM and the Danelectros. Is there something out there that can do the above?

3) I live in Aus, so am looking for something that is reasonably accessible and not looking to buy used (not from the US at least).

Any advice, input, links or clips would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would recommend staying away from digital but it's just me.

MXR flangers are very good and so are the Boss. I like the BF-2 better than the BF-3.

3. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

May 3, 2011
    ....check E.H. Deluxe Electric Mistress, huge, old fashioned classic, very swoooooooshy analog, easy to find.

4. tigerbass

tigerbass Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    The BF-3 will do everything you asked in question 1. Plus it has the Pan option which just rules, I use it all the time. Hold fuction and stereo out are just icing on the cake. It might not be THE BEST flanger in the world, but I bought mine new when it came out years ago, have tried all kinds, and still have never taken it off my board and probably never will!

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    This. The BF3 is the only pedal I've hung onto since i bought it. I'm a notorious pedal flipper. So that's saying a lot. It is IMO the best flanger I've heard. I love making it go nuts at extreme settings too.

6. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    I do like the boss. I know what it is capable of, and enjoy the versatility.

The bf3 will be the ideal option, however i also wanted to know how many people have tried the digitech. How does it stack up to the boss? Will this pedal give me what I need, or do I need to go for the boss?

I can't find any videos on bass with the digitech, only guitar. The effect looks solid, I just want to know how it goes on bass...(eg. Does it get muddy, low end loss etc?)

Does anyone have any first hand experience or sound clips?

Looking to steer away from analogue. I love mxr, but I don't think it has the versatility, and I'm not really an ehx fan...

7. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    If you would like a couple quick samples of my digitech let me know and I can email a few.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got a BF-2 but I've never played a BF-3. I'd go for either one. You might be able to find a BF-2 for less, if it does you fine.

9. Viscera_Eyes

Viscera_Eyes

Oct 27, 2008
    I had the Digitech Turbo Flange. It is pretty versatile; the seven modes cover a lot of different flanger sounds. It can do the jet sweep, pulsing flange and it even has a step mode (I don't think their are many/any flangers at its price point that can do this). To my ears however, the sounds were not very useable. The pedal does lose some low (a lot on some settings) end and it does not really cut well. Its tone was lacking IMO. I eventually switched to the Boss BF-2 and like it much more (it does not have the bells and whistles though).

Unfortunately, I have not tried the BF-3, so I cannot really comment on how it stacks up to the Turbo Flange when it comes to straight flanger sounds. However, a lot of people really like the BF-3 and it also seems pretty versatile as well with the pan mode etc....

10. Leo thechampion

Leo thechampion

Nov 2, 2011
    Buying used from Talk Bass is as solid as an Australian Bank. Save some money brother .

11. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah, I was afraid that this would be the case. I have a bsw and while it has alot of cool settings, I feel that there are only a few that I can use in a band setting. I guess I can at least try one out, but I feel I will come to the same conclusion.

I do feel that the boss is a superior unit, but as it is more expensive I thought I would consider the digitech aswell. I know that it is designed for bass, so that makes it easier.

In regards to buying used on tb, I do search alot through the classifieds looking for good deals, and there usually always is, however don't want to harass people with int. shipping...