1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flexible speaker/cabinet/amp modelling VSTs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by John Burgess, Jan 24, 2017.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    I currently use Guitar Rig as amp modelling software, and while its primarily aimed at guitar, the bass guitar amp/cabinet models are OK too.

However I also need to model a bowed electric double bass, and none of the guitar or bass guitar specific models really work well.

What I would like is a modelling plugin where you could alter particular aspects, such as speaker type, cabinet size, mic placement etc. Basically instead of a few preset famous brand cabinets, a universal model where you can alter individual parameters, all the way up to modelling a clean PA speaker.

Any recommendations?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Try Positive Grid's BIAS Desktop.

3. TECHDOGGO

TECHDOGGO

Dec 31, 2016
    This is for bass as well ?

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There are bass amp models, and you can certainly use guitar amp models as well.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    IK Multimedia Amplitube is also good.
    Try a demo

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1 to both Amplitube and BIAS FX and AMP. Positive Grid's BIAS splits out their options between an FX application and an AMP application, both of which now come in standard and "pro" flavors. If all you want to do is load presets, either could work for you; but if the budget is humorless and stern, spend some time with the BIAS demos to figure out which suits your working style better.

Depending on how you use your gear, you might also consider an IR hybrid software/hardware solution, so you can roll your sounds in the studio, and then take them with you onstage. For example, here's a bass demo of Two Notes C.A.B. (jump to about 3:00), a cabinet emulator that also lets you dial in aspects of mic choice, mic placement, room, preamp type, and power amp.

With the Two Notes gear you can load 3rd-party IRs to extend the options available. I've had some luck, for example, with loading Gibson, Martin, and Taylor acoustic guitar IRs to give piezo acoustic guitars more of a mic-vibe.

Using their free software, you can also capture your own IRs (of a favorite bass cab or chain). While these DIY IRs are less flexible than the native-format IRs, they can still be especially useful if you know what sound you're chasing—say, if you're producing your own music and leaning on specific signature tones.

seamonkey likes this.