1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flicking Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Jun 28, 2014.

1. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Does anyone use the flicking technique that (at least) Geddy uses? Do they have much luck with it? I have tried it myself, not with a single finger (like he does I think), instead I bunch the first two fingers to give me more strength. It's much more effective on the A string, and a lot harder on the E string. Any tips?

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I do this all the time. It's sort of like Flamenco. Like anything else it can be overdone. I do not do it on the E string. For that I "smack" downward with my Middle finger. I do my own thing and don't try to emulate anyone but I play a lot of Rush tunes. Get yourself a Ric 4003 with Roto 77 Flats. Play through a Zoom B3 set to the SansCmp patch and the Right stomp set to Aguilar. The sound will blow your mind.

3. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Not sure my finances stretch to a brand new bass, let alone a ricky!

4. Kyle_S

Kyle_S

Sep 11, 2013
    NY
    I use it a lot, also with two fingers. Mostly to emulate a pick sound if I'm playing a lot of notes on one string or strumming power chords on the A+D or D+G strings. It sounded weak at first, but it's gotten stronger the more I've used it. Another thing that's helped is changing where I strum and the way I angle my hand. For example, if I strum between my P-Bass-style pickup and the bridge, and angle my picking hand so my knuckles are almost pointing at the neck, I get a nice sharp attack that sounds great on something like "John the Fisherman" by Primus.

Just play around with it and give it some time. Make it your own. You don't need any new gear--you might not even need to touch your tone knob.

5. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Nov 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Practice makes perfect. I just picked it up watching Geddy and Claypool. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

6. Junior Shark

Junior Shark

Nov 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Also, listen to Stanley Clarke. He could be considered the originator of this technique.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I use it alot for funky stuff with horns, and of course for rush stuff like Animate. I also use a modified triplet version a drummer suggested to me once, where the pattern is right, left, both flick. The triplet one is really cool for rolling over chords and things of that nature, but also works for triplets if you get in the groove with it. Love it for chords, both versions.

8. I absolutely SUCK at this, but I haven't been at it that long yet. I got turned on to this by Brian Beller in a teaching vid posted to Youtube where he talks about the stuff he did recording tracks for Deathklok (Metalocalypse). he said he couldn't play it fast enough finger style, so he sorta uses a twin pair of "finger picks".