Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flute and Double Bass?!?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Anon2962, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
  2. flat five

flat five

Sep 1, 2004
    I don't know that Mozart, but I know of a good and challenging trio piece. It is Irwin Schulhoff's Concertino for flute, viola and double bass. It was written around 1923 and is fun to listen to and fun to play. It's harder than it looks though. You can hear in his music that Schullhof had a great sense of humor. Unfortunately the Nazis were not amused. I bought my set of parts from Frank Music Company in NYC.
    http://www.frankmusiccompany.com/fmc_cat.htm[/URL]

3. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Perhaps the clarinet part of the Bottesini grand duo for double bass and clarinet could be transcribed for flute?

4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    -Double Concerto By Karl Korte. For Doublebass, flute, tape. . Published by Seesaw Music Corp.
    - Divertimento No. 4 By Elliott Schwartz. For Flute, Double Bass, Piano. Published by MMB Music Inc.
    - Preludes By Bernhard Heiden. For Flute, harp, and Double Bass. Published by MMB Music Inc.
    - Trio for Flute, Violin and Double Bass By Sydeman. For fl, vn & cb. Published by McGinnis & Marx Music Publishers.
    - Bagatelles for Flute, Double Bass and Piano, Op. 14d By Gyorgy Kurtag. EMB. Published by Editio Musica Budapest.
    -Duo for Flute and String Bass By Johnston. For fl & cb. Published by McGinnis & Marx Music Publishers.
    -Trio for Flute, Viola and Contrabass Op. 72. By Aeschbacher. For flute, viola, contrabass (violoncello). - Published by C.F. Peters. (N06108)

There's more, I'm sure. The internet is a wonderful thing. Go to www.sheetmusicplus.com and search. Use "double bass", "string bass" and "contrabass" . At the bottom add "flute" to narrow results. Have fun!

Neil

5. Schulhoff's Concertino is excellent.

I would recommand the Kurtág, too. Further :

"Acquaintances" for fl, db & piano by Roger Reynolds, Ed. Peters 1963;

there's the famous Sperger quartet for solo-db, fl, vla & cello, and I think he has a trio, too (db, fl, vla ?);

There is a good modern duo fl & db by Italian Silvano Bussotti, and
    some more obvious pieces on Yorke's catalogue.

6. Do you know more about Schulhoff ? Any link or biography ?

7. One of my desert island recordings is 'Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano', music by Claude Bolling. Jean Pierre Rampal was the flutist (flautist?), don't recall who the bassist was. Don't know if the sheet music is readily available, but it's certainly worth the effort to find the recording.
    This was one of a series of records he made. They were all primarily duets with another instrument, with a supporting rhythm section. They included the above mentioned flute album, piano and guitar with Andres Segovia, piano and violin with Pinchas Zuckerman, Toot Suite with a trumpet player I've forgotten, Picnic Suite with a larger ensemble. All great stuff, but the piano/ flute is my favourite. Dunno if they're available on CD.
    Update: Just checked Sheetmusicplus, they have lots of Bolling stuff, including the above, published by Hal Leonard.
    Not really double bass features, but great music none the less.