foam on the walls?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Jun 22, 2005.

1. after searching around a bit on the forums, I didn't really find an answer to my question. Which is, when you are soundproofing a room, say, a basement, will any kind of 2'' dense foam work? or does it have to be that certain shape, etc. I know that shape helps to dampen sound, but I figured it couldn't make that much of a difference.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Egg crate style foam is used in order to give the walls an uneven texture to prevent sounds bouncing off the walls and giving you a misrepresentation of how it really sounds.

I know studio pros will disagree with me, but quite frankly, I can't think of anything more useless in a studio than deadening the walls. I personally like sounds to bounce around off walls and floors. It gives them character.
  3. yea, I will have to check out the samples when we cut some stuff, then I guess I'll find out if it sounds good enough.
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Foam on the walls does not soundproof. It treats the walls so that they are more dead inside of the room, but that's all. You could put a foot of thick foam on the inside of the whole wall and it wouldn't change the amount of sound getting out one bit.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003

You have to be carefull with your terminology. Soundproof and Acousticly treated are two different things. If you want to keep sound out, thats a whole 'nother discussion. If you just want to get a dead sound, then yeah, foam is a cheap place to start. And the more exspensive sound foam does not cost more because of the shape, it cost more becuase the foam is different, and better at knocking down frequencies than egg crate. Though I would still say save your money and get some egg crate and go to town, you may want some bass traps though, they help.

I agree on having character, good character that is :) but if he is looking to put together a room to mix in as well, character is the last thing you want.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Most pro studios I've been to have both options covered. The room where they record drums and guitars are usually pretty live, but the vocal both is always as dead as can be. That's where I like to record my bass, but not all bass players do.

It's all about experimentation.
  7. awesome, thanks for all the technical jabberwocky.
  8. I notice it appears you're from Indianapolis - I too reside in that locale. In terms of your question - yeah, it doesn't soundproof a thing, really, although I've crammed a bunch of dense foam in my basement windowsills to help mute the escaping sound a bit (it does sound different on the outside with the foam in as opposed to it out).

My band practices in my cement basement, which has a cement floor and cement block walls. Obviously, there'd be a ton of ring if left unedited. So, i've put up some thick quilts and foam and blankets, and it does make the room sound much better. Sounds pretty good, in fact. Enough natural reverb to sound nice without too much noise and ringing. Of course, we're a pretty quiet band and practice at volumes low enough for us to speak up over, so that makes a huge difference too.