1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera Emperor Aero Type 1 or 3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brams77, May 5, 2010.

1. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    Hi guys a question I'm about to put some aero J pickups in my Fodera Emperor.
    I already talked to Larry about what I wanted and he said I couldn't go wrong with type 1's, but if I wanted to "warm up" the tone type 3's where very ok cos of the alnico, but it only worked on "some" basses. He told me Joey Lauricella of Fodera used the type 3's on his instrument. I just dont know what wood combo Joey uses and if it is something my ash/maple/maple bass 3's would complement. I want to move away from the now installed barts cos I think they are a little thinner then lets say seymour duncan jazz pickups that I have installed on my other NYC Fodera. Being my bass is ash maple/maple is brighter then most other wood combos so warming up the tone would not be a bad idea, but it has to work ofcourse, so thats why I ask.

So does anyone know what wood combo Joey Lauricella uses, and what is preferred the type 1 or 3 Aeros for Fodera's in general?

Many thanks in advance!:smug:

2. Joey plays a bolt-on white ash/maple Fodera. Pretty funky looking :)

3. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    Ah right so besides the bolt-on against neck tru thing it is the same wood combo then interesting!

Thanks Hou!

4. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    After a quick search on google I had a chance to hear the bass and Joey. I'm sorry to say it didnt make things much easier. No disrespect here but not really my cup of tea,the sound had a bite to it that I didnt like.
    I like playing modern jazz a bit of soul I was in search of warmth this is prolly too agressive for my liking.

Does anyone know a few bass players with foderas that use aero jazz pickups that I can check?

5. My Fodera Emperor is Ash body with Ash neck and Tulipwood fingerboard (More like rosewood I believe) I have a a set of Nordstrands NJ in mine and I like them a lot.

You can heard my bass here:

6. JENDRAL BASS

JENDRAL BASS

Sep 12, 2009
    type 3 on neck.
    type 1 on bridge.

7. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    :eek::eek::eek: Man This quartet is absolutely amazing! good jazz language!

8. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    Cool clips Hou!:)

The nords on your bass sound great I must admit that, I had se's on a jazz bass once, but I found those also a little bright.
    Your finger board makes the tone a little warmer then my maple one I guess.
    I think the jazz pu's that sound a little darker are the Seymour Antig. and possibly the Sadowsky pickups (if you listen to tal Wilkenfeld e.g.)

By the way my current sound is like this old barts + 2 bnd hazlab pre.

Attached Files:

9. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Joey's bass had not had Aeros in it for quite some time. He presently uses Fodera / Duncans...

10. Brams77

Brams77

Jun 30, 2009
    Right thanks for that Jason!

11. I am actually thinking about ordering a bass with a Type 3 at the neck and with a humbucker with a type 3 in the 60's position and a type 1 next to it (on the bridge side). The plan was to wire a 3 way to get either coil and in humbucking mode.

Anyone have any comments on this? (sorry about the thread jack)